Trying to connect front panel audio to motherboard

Br41th

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Hi, I have an old pentium 4 AA8 3rd eye motherboard and I'm trying to connect the front panel audio from a Tsunami Dream case

Motherboard

Case

If someone could match these up for me I'd be most grateful, TIA

Solution
The headers/cables of that Tsunami Drea case pertain to AC'97 Audio connectors; the motherboard pinout you posted pertains to HD Audio pins. HD Audio (released in 2004) is NOT backward-compatible with AC'97 (an old standard), despite both having the same 10-1 physical pinout -- but they are electrically different.

faq_041216_en.jpg

Kindly check your motherboard manual if AC'97 is supported. If it is, you should be able to select AC'97 in BIOS or Audio Software (usually the default is HD Audio).

On another note, does you case have the HD Audio headers aside from the AC'97 (usually on older cases, the AC'97 cables are piggy-backed to the HD Audio)?
The headers/cables of that Tsunami Drea case pertain to AC'97 Audio connectors; the motherboard pinout you posted pertains to HD Audio pins. HD Audio (released in 2004) is NOT backward-compatible with AC'97 (an old standard), despite both having the same 10-1 physical pinout -- but they are electrically different.

faq_041216_en.jpg

Kindly check your motherboard manual if AC'97 is supported. If it is, you should be able to select AC'97 in BIOS or Audio Software (usually the default is HD Audio).

On another note, does you case have the HD Audio headers aside from the AC'97 (usually on older cases, the AC'97 cables are piggy-backed to the HD Audio)?

Solution

Br41th

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
No the motherboard doesn't support AC97 and the case only has the connections I listed. The only reason I'm putting this old PC back together is I needed the PSU from it to troubleshoot another PC and to get the PSU out I had to remove the motherboard. I remember in 2005 when I built it I had trouble with the front panel. Anyway thanks for your help