Trying to connect my ASUS WL-330NUL travel router to my works LAN to broadcast WI-FI

Riley Holtkamp

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2013
I've been trying all day to get my travel router to connect to my works LAN so I can broadcast it as a wifi signal for my mobile devices. It uses a USB for power. I've tried many different things and so far the closest I can get is bridging the connection of local LAN adapter and using the travel router as an adapter as well. When I do this both my computer and mobile devices act up and lose signal frequently. I should be able to plug in an ethernet cable from the LAN straight into my router and have it work but when I connect to it I don't get any internet, all I get is the wifi signal. I've tried cloning the mac address from my PC to it as well. Any ideas? Thanks for the input.

Solution
I see you are back with a variation of your first question. As someone who works in IT it is my job to know about devices like this and work to prevent them from being installed. If your IT has any skills they too know how to block devices like this from being installed. The simplest being limiting each port to a single mac/ip address. If it is unstable then likely they have configured it to prevent you from having multiple addresses.
The next step up in security is 802.1x where you have to authenticate the end device before you are even allowed on the network. That prevent even someone who know how to configure a router properly and spoof mac addresses from being able to gain entrance.

The only way you likely can get this to...
I see you are back with a variation of your first question. As someone who works in IT it is my job to know about devices like this and work to prevent them from being installed. If your IT has any skills they too know how to block devices like this from being installed. The simplest being limiting each port to a single mac/ip address. If it is unstable then likely they have configured it to prevent you from having multiple addresses.
The next step up in security is 802.1x where you have to authenticate the end device before you are even allowed on the network. That prevent even someone who know how to configure a router properly and spoof mac addresses from being able to gain entrance.

The only way you likely can get this to work is to use your PC as the router using something like ICS or conectify to share the connection. Even though we in IT know all about this exploit it is the same as if you give someone your LAN password. So if you put wireless behind your PC and someone misuses it tracks back to your userid. So now if you are really willing to risk your job I have told you how to bypass any restrictions.

Solution