[SOLVED] trying to create a new recovery drive. windows issues.

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
so i currently have a nearly 5 year old copy of windows 10 on an old usb. after a recent problem i had, i decided i wanted to make a newer clean version of windows 10. i bought a new usb drive to use as the storage source, but windows 10 says a drive cant be created on this pc? im very confused.

Solution
tried using create a recovery drive from the file menu.
usb is 256gb.
"windows cannot create a recovery drive from this pc." i am thinking i i might be able to do it through what its called the media creation tool?
The MediaCreation Tool will create a brand new Win 10 install USB.
Which, in reading your post, is I think what you need.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The first part of this:

USAFRet

Titan
so i currently have a nearly 5 year old copy of windows 10 on an old usb. after a recent problem i had, i decided i wanted to make a newer clean version of windows 10. i bought a new usb drive to use as the storage source, but windows 10 says a drive cant be created on this pc? im very confused.
How, specifically, are you doing this?
What size is the USB?
What error did it give you?

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
usb is 256gb.
"windows cannot create a recovery drive from this pc." i am thinking i i might be able to do it through what its called the media creation tool?

USAFRet

Titan
usb is 256gb.
The MediaCreation Tool will create a brand new Win 10 install USB.
Which, in reading your post, is I think what you need.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The first part of this:

Solution

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
thats what i figured. my old usb recovery drive is from about 2015-2016 when i had my old laptop. i figure a brand new fresh install just in case something goes wrong again will eliminate any issues that could spawn.