Question Trying to daisychain three monitors together via DisplayPort - any advice?

Aug 26, 2024
Hi, I have been trying to set up a daisychain via DisplayPort with three monitors, and have had no luck - it's starting to drive me mad!
I have a HP EliteBook 830 G7 running Windows 11 which I want to be able to close the lid to, and extend the displays onto:
  • A Dell P2424HEB docking monitor (connected to the Elitebook via USB-C)
  • An Asus ProArt PA247CV (connected to the Dell via the Dell's DisplayPort Out)
  • An Asus VG248QE (connected to the ProArt via the ProArt's DisplayPort Out)
As far as I can tell, the HP Elitebook should have the capability to support three monitors, especially when the lid is closed (which I have enabled), but with everything connected the Dell and Asus ProArt work as expected, but the VG248QE doesn't get anything or isn't detected. It does come on initially as if it does receive some input via DisplayPort, but then says no signal.

I've individually tested the VG248QE, ProArt and P2424HEB connections, as well as 2 monitor set ups (e.g. P2424HEB/VG248QE, P2424HEB/ProArt, ProArt/VG248QE) as well as beginning the chain with the EliteBook connected to the ProArt, going into the P2424HEB and then the VG248QE, all to no avail.

I've checked the settings on the monitors and can't immediately see that anything needed changing.

All of this is coming off of trying to use a DisplayPort multi-adapter with the Dell, VG248QE and another monitor, before Dell support and the multi-adapter company's support saying basically it won't work with no fixes to suggest.

I am out of ideas and patience - the only thing I can think is that the VG248QE is too old, but the manual says it's DisplayPort 1.2 so I would have thought it would be compatible?
If there is anything I'm not doing right or could change, please let me know. Any help is appreciated!