[SOLVED] Trying to Decide on Selling old Parts or Building Second System

flg2010

Commendable
Nov 17, 2020
My current all purpose rig is around 6 months old. I built it during the first wave of the pandemic and finding parts took some time. That has not changed. Currently I have a 3090 GPU and an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU in route, took some effort to get both, luckily did not spend more then list price on the GPU. So I will have a GPU (2080 Super) and a CPU 3950X spare once I complete these upgrades. My question: Since I have been thinking about a second PC to help my setup, should I save these and use them in a second PC I build or should I sell them? I would need to buy a case, cpu cooler, mb, and a m.2/ssd drives.

I need my computer to remote connect to work, game, watch Youtube.. etc. A second PC would likely be tasked with my work connection and my main computer would focus more on photo editing hobby, and gaming.

What have some of you done with your spare parts?

Is it worth keeping spares in the event of a hardware failure?

Solution
I typically keep no LESS than two working computers in my home related specific to my use. I work from home so having a spare as a backup is important for (us). With that aspect said, I always keep a spare known working GPU and PSU on hand as well.
I did keep a first gen Ryzen on hand for a while just in case of BIOS update issues, but am past really needing it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I typically keep no LESS than two working computers in my home related specific to my use. I work from home so having a spare as a backup is important for (us). With that aspect said, I always keep a spare known working GPU and PSU on hand as well.
I did keep a first gen Ryzen on hand for a while just in case of BIOS update issues, but am past really needing it.

Solution

flg2010

Commendable
Nov 17, 2020
I really want to build something for my wife. But she wants a small case that is portable and I have no idea how to keep something like that from overheating. I might end up building a mi-tower with the old parts and then moving it near where she likes to sit and play computer games. This way she might just start using it rather then the 10 year old laptop that I gave her.. 5 years ago, that keeps overheating lol.

USAFRet

Titan
I really want to build something for my wife. But she wants a small case that is portable and I have no idea how to keep something like that from overheating. I might end up building a mi-tower with the old parts and then moving it near where she likes to sit and play computer games. This way she might just start using it rather then the 10 year old laptop that I gave her.. 5 years ago, that keeps overheating lol.
Small? heehee
https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-GT-R-Performance-Business-Computer/dp/B08GCS3G7V