Question Trying to decide whether to buy a RTX 3050 or 3060.

mpere805

Honorable
Feb 7, 2018
I presently have a GTX 1660 super with 750 watt PSU. But cannot decide whether to upgrade now or wait for prices to come down closer to MSRP for some higher end cards. I have the funds now for a mid level card.

Prices probably wont go any lower than they are in my opinion. RTX 3060 is the better option if you have the money for it. Otherwise if you're only interest in gaming, look at 6650 XT, a much better performer and undercuts the 3060 in price.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
With RTX 4000-series around the corner,
latest news: https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-4000-release-date-price-specs-benchmarks

I'd wait and see what RTX 4000 series would offer, before buying GPU right now. Else-ways, you might end up into a situation where your RTX 3000-series GPU, is both outperformed and also more expensive, than it's RTX 4000-series counterpart.

But if you "need" better GPU right away, go ahead and buy it.

I presently have a GTX 1660 super with 750 watt PSU. But cannot decide whether to upgrade now or wait for prices to come down closer to MSRP for some higher end cards. I have the funds now for a mid level card.
Do not upgrade a 1660 Super to a 3050, I would go for a 3060 at a minimum. A 1660 Super is not bad, you might be better served by waiting to the 40 series. That being said given the GPU market last couple of years I wouldn't blame you for buying now. I don't know what the prices are like where you are but in the UK prices are basicly at or as close to their original MSRP as they are ever going to get now. So I would only wait for the 40 series not for further price cuts on the current stuff.

Reactions: HeartOfAdel

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Do not upgrade a 1660 Super to a 3050, I would go for a 3060 at a minimum. A 1660 Super is not bad, you might be better served by waiting to the 40 series. That being said given the GPU market last couple of years I wouldn't blame you for buying now. I don't know what the prices are like where you are but in the UK prices are basicly at or as close to their original MSRP as they are ever going to get now. So I would only wait for the 40 series not for further price cuts on the current stuff.
It's true, upgrading to 3050 from 1660 super is barely an improvement. The only solid one would be dlss.

3060 is the way to go because lower end rtx 4000 will not be out for quite sometime, we may see them only in a year from now. If that amount of time is fine for you, then you can wait for an entry-midrange 4000 card, assuming you have a capable cpu that can handle it.
4060 is going to be a 1080p beast because it should be around 3070(Ti) level of performance. You'll need at least 5600x level cpu for that task. Or you can upgrade your resoltion. The final decision is up to you.

Last edited: