[SOLVED] Trying to decide which CPU would be ideal for me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 16, 2019
Good afternoon,

I came to this website about six years ago for help building a gaming PC and got phenomenal advice. The PC was great and I still use it regularly however I'm looking to make a serious upgrade and build a brand new PC.

The main games that I play are strategy games, Crusader Kings 2 being my main game (especially with the AGoT Mod). The game stutters unbearably in the mod unless I play with the Westeros only submod.

I'm looking to build a new pc to play these kinds of games but also FPS and RPG games and Elite Dangerous with my friends.

If I understand correctly, older games likes Crusader Kings 2 use only one core so single core power is important but (and I know this term is frowned upon) some futureproofing is important to me. I'd like to buy a good MOBO that will allow for some upgrading down the road. Is AMD's Ryzen Zen 2 the way to go for a better upgrading future or are Intels just as good or better for that?

I'd only be gaming on the pc, perhaps doing school work too. Price isn't a huge issue so I'm willing to spend a decent amount (maybe 2000-3000k CAD).

I'm torn between the Ryzen 3700x which seems to be fantastic both performance wise and value wise, and the I7 8700k or (possibly) the i9 9900k, but when I was building my current PC 6 years ago, Intel was often considered to be noticeably better for gaming. Is that still true? Does Intel hold the unequivocal edge still?

For a gaming pc with some degree of future proofing that will be used to play older games that may only use one core and new games that may use multicores, are the intels better or are the AMDs fine or even better?

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Yes, at 1080p, Intel wins out. If you have a 60hz panel, though, the argument is moot. For high refresh 1080p, AMD is competitive, but Intel does win out. 1440p/4k the situation is a bit different, as the gap tends to be quite narrow. Intel 10th gen will not be using the current socket/chipset. 4th gen will most likely use the current socket, and be supported, via bios update, on at least the 5xx chipsets. AMD has stated AM4 is good through 2020, and we have seen a new CPU gen, every year, since Ryzen 1st gen launch.

I went a bit overboard, but this gives you an idea, on what you can do, with that budget, even including a 1440p monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor...

InvalidError

Titan
Would that PCIe 4.0 lead to more heat? What about it being a power hog bothers people?

How do you tell which MOBOs have the updated BIOS preloaded?
PCIe 4.0 is (officially) only available on 3rd-gen Ryzen when combined with x570 motherboards at the moment and the problem with it is that the 400-series chipsets only use 5-7W which can be passively cooled through the motherboard, heatsink optional, while the x570 chipsets use 11-15W and requires active cooling while under load, which means that depending on how effective the chipset heatsink is, you may be one fan failure away from a fried chipset.

As for telling what boards are 3rd-gen ready, look for refresh-specific branding such as MSI's "MAX" variants or board boxes that have a "Ryzen 3000 Ready" sticker on them for manufacturers that aren't bothering with 3rd-gen re-branding.

Sep 16, 2019
Yes, at 1080p, Intel wins out. If you have a 60hz panel, though, the argument is moot. For high refresh 1080p, AMD is competitive, but Intel does win out. 1440p/4k the situation is a bit different, as the gap tends to be quite narrow. Intel 10th gen will not be using the current socket/chipset. 4th gen will most likely use the current socket, and be supported, via bios update, on at least the 5xx chipsets. AMD has stated AM4 is good through 2020, and we have seen a new CPU gen, every year, since Ryzen 1st gen launch.

I went a bit overboard, but this gives you an idea, on what you can do, with that budget, even including a 1440p monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($685.75 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($163.99 @ PC-Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING Video Card ($920.99 @ PC-Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Acer XG270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($469.90 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Total: $2950.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-16 12:37 EDT-0400

Even at the lower side of your budget, you can do a very capable 1440p rig, with some simple changes.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($444.86 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($578.99 @ PC-Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Acer XG270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($469.90 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Total: $2203.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-16 12:44 EDT-0400

I nearly finalized my build. I wanted to ask you, why did you suggest the 2080 Super over let's say the Radeon 5700 XT? Is there some significant downside to AMD GPUs? The 5700 XT appears to be really good for nearly half the price of the 2080 Super.

InvalidError

Titan
Is there some significant downside to AMD GPUs? The 5700 XT appears to be really good for nearly half the price of the 2080 Super.
The 2080 Super is 50-60% faster, not quite comparable performance range. Which GPU to buy depends entirely on what games you care the most about and what GPU can deliver the performance you are looking for. If the 5700XT delivers what you want, sure get the 5700XT.

Sep 16, 2019
The 2080 Super is 50-60% faster, not quite comparable performance range. Which GPU to buy depends entirely on what games you care the most about and what GPU can deliver the performance you are looking for. If the 5700XT delivers what you want, sure get the 5700XT.

Thank you! That is a pretty substantial difference. I'll get the 2080 Super, thank you.

Edit: Actually I'll think about them some more. Tough call.

logainofhades

Titan
The 5700xt is a great card, for its price. The 2080 super is as good deal faster, and yes, is quite a bit more expensive. How long do you intend to wait, for upgrade? If you intend to keep your GPU, for as long as possible, it may be worth going with the faster card.

Sep 16, 2019
You mustn't have been looking very well. In this forum alone, as well as other computer forums on the net there are so many people complaining about their high core voltages and very high temperatures on idle.
I didn't look at the forum at all, I just asked here and almost everyone suggested Ryzen. When I looked it up elsewhere on the net and read reviews, I only saw good stuff. I've heard a bit about high voltages but mine rests at 36-37C at idle and hasn't gone above 46 while playing games, unless the various software I'm using are lying to me... so far I'm pleased.

Interestingly, people also say the newer Intel CPUs run very hot as well.

All that being said I'm still unsure as to whether I should have just said screw it and splurged on an I9 9900k.

Well, for what is worth I'd go with the i7 9700k considering all the problems that new Ryzen owners seem to be having of lately.

It seems people don't do research prety well. Why do they think only Ryzen have problems?, this same forum is full with people asking help with thier Intel CPUs.

What Ryzen suffered in the first month was what usually happends with every new adopter of a brand new CPU (brand new fabrication node too), and really most problems have been solved a month ago. I haven't had any issues with my CPU in the last 2 months.

As for your particular choice, if you wana pay a premium price in 2019 for a CPU that doesn't give you HT and doesn't even come with a included cooler, well go ahead. I like Intel CPU, I had a core i5 3570 wich was an awesome CPU, but no chance I would buy that core i7, I would rather go with the 8700K wich has only 6 cores but comes with HT enable so 12 threads.

Then again, for the time been the Core i7 9700K is a good CPU that wont give you many troubles in most games, but don't trust me go check what most reviewers said and think about it:

(I set the video to start at a relevant point but if you have the time is really worth looking at it from start to end)

View: https://youtu.be/7uhXkVI64I8?t=2238

Cheers

vultusprime

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
It seems people don't do research prety well. Why do they think only Ryzen have problems?, this same forum is full with people asking help with thier Intel CPUs.

What Ryzen suffered in the first month was what usually happends with every new adopter of a brand new CPU (brand new fabrication node too), and really most problems have been solved a month ago. I haven't had any issues with my CPU in the last 2 months.

As for your particular choice, if you wana pay a premium price in 2019 for a CPU that doesn't give you HT and doesn't even come with a included cooler, well go ahead. I like Intel CPU, I had a core i5 3570 wich was an awesome CPU, but no chance I would buy that core i7, I would rather go with the 8700K wich has only 6 cores but comes with HT enable so 12 threads.

Then again, for the time been the Core i7 9700K is a good CPU that wont give you many troubles in most games, but don't trust me go check what most reviewers said and think about it:

(I set the video to start at a relevant point but if you have the time is really worth looking at it from start to end)

View: https://youtu.be/7uhXkVI64I8?t=2238

Cheers
I don't think that only Ryzen has problems, but right now those problems seem to be more urgent.

I agree with what you said about the i7 9700K, and the 8700K would probably be a better choice. Except that there are not so easy to find anymore.

The 9700K is without HT, Intel really hit below the belt with that one, that is true. But at the same time no one knows how much impact this will really have on a purely gaming machine.
In the future games might possibly take advantage of HT, but when? Triple A games take years to develop, if we are talking 3-5 years into the future, by then the PC would be to old anyway.

As far as the cooler is concerned, the included AMD cooler for the 3600 in my opinion is not enough. I have seen people posting temps of 90 at full load with that thing. If you want to have some piece of mind then you'd be better off buying a better cooler.

Frankly speaking, it is because of peace of mind, that the Ryzen seems a little unstable, a little not-quite-ready yet.
It is a great CPU, but there are too many people complaining about high temps. If they fix it I'd love to get one. But why take the risk?

Sep 16, 2019
I don't think that only Ryzen has problems, but right now those problems seem to be more urgent.

I agree with what you said about the i7 9700K, and the 8700K would probably be a better choice. Except that there are not so easy to find anymore.

The 9700K is without HT, Intel really hit below the belt with that one, that is true. But at the same time no one knows how much impact this will really have on a purely gaming machine.
In the future games might possibly take advantage of HT, but when? Triple A games take years to develop, if we are talking 3-5 years into the future, by then the PC would be to old anyway.

As far as the cooler is concerned, the included AMD cooler for the 3600 in my opinion is not enough. I have seen people posting temps of 90 at full load with that thing. If you want to have some piece of mind then you'd be better off buying a better cooler.

Frankly speaking, it is because of peace of mind, that the Ryzen seems a little unstable, a little not-quite-ready yet.
It is a great CPU, but there are too many people complaining about high temps. If they fix it I'd love to get one. But why take the risk?
I cant speak for others by my 3700x idles around 34C-37C and so far has only gone up to 57C (that I've noticed) while gaming in VR. This is using Ryzen Master to monitor temps.

This is all with the stock cooler and no overclocking.