Trying to decide

Marc_2

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Hi guys !

I'm trying to decide between to builds with a maximum budget of 750 euros.

I have two options in mind ( it's in spanish, but I think that it is easy to understand ):

http://www.pccomponentes.com/pccly/Ab098164

The second is this:

http://www.coolmod.com/coolpc-gamer-v-i5-4590-8gb-ddr3-1tb-hdd-gtx-960-z97-precio

This one is more difficult to understand, but it is basically:

Mobo: z97
Cpu: i5 4590
Gpu: gtx 960 2gb
Ram: 8gb
HDD: 1 TB
PSU: 600W 80 Plus Silver
Box: Zalman Z11 Plus

The first build has the R9 290, which it's vastly superior to the gtx 960. However, It has worse mobo and box. In addition, I would have to build myself the PC and I'm a little afraid.

What do you think ? Is the R9 290 enough to justify the inferiority of other components ? Will the better mobo of the second build be better in future if I want to make a SLI configuration ?

Sorry for my English, I'm still learning.

Solution
Hola Marc! Muy bein! Tres puntos: You don't need the CPU cooler. The Intel one is perfect already. PSU could be better, but it also could be worse! (after a quick check on the site, Seasonic S12II 620 watts and Antec HCG 620 are your best choice). And using two sticks of 4GB RAM instead of 1x8GB will take advantage of the Dual Channel Memory feature on the motherboard. Apart from that looks great. Yes, H97 motherboard and WD blue is a good choice :D
If the first build you have assembled the components yourself I must warn you that your choice is not balanced. If you keep the locked cpu then pick a better quality H97 chipset motherboard (you really shouldn't buy the cheapest motherboard that is compatible, it forms the basis of your build). Also I don't recommend that PSU even though it performs good it has no surge protection built-in. Look for something else (e.g. EVGA SuperNova NEX B2 750w, not B1, or a good quality XFX 550w psu . A really recommend a WD10EZEX hdd as it is higher quality and more reliable instead of the toshiba but I guess the toshiba is fine as well. That R9 290 is a good deal only if you have the components to support it so keep in mind that. Also, I would pick an aftermarket cooler (e.g. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo).

Concerning the prebuilt I don't feel it is worth that cost for those components. Also it has some contradictions in its configuration: Why have a Z97 unlocked chipset with a locked CPU (you need a K series compatible cpu take advantage of that)

Marc_2

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Amazing response Compuser ! I always have doubts with the motherboard. Some people say that if you don't want to overclock or do SLI the motherboard doesn't matter at all, but I guess that the price difference is there for something.

I have not found all the components that you said, but is this build a little bit better ?

www.pccomponentes.com/pccly/A7785173

And for the prebuilt, how would you improve it in that price range ?

sharndowg

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Hola Marc! Muy bein! Tres puntos: You don't need the CPU cooler. The Intel one is perfect already. PSU could be better, but it also could be worse! (after a quick check on the site, Seasonic S12II 620 watts and Antec HCG 620 are your best choice). And using two sticks of 4GB RAM instead of 1x8GB will take advantage of the Dual Channel Memory feature on the motherboard. Apart from that looks great. Yes, H97 motherboard and WD blue is a good choice :D

Solution
I agree with sharndowg. Pick an 8gb (2*4gb) kit instead of a single stick. Also the PSU's he suggested are good quality for a budget. The Zalman Z11 plus case in the prebuilt is better then the one you picked (maybe buy that case instead of the Z3). Also, I'll forget about the prebuilt and focus on components selection (you won't regret it as it more rewarding when you have finished your build).
P.S. You can keep the stock intel cooler but cpu temps might get high once in a while. I understand your decisoin to go for a h97 mobo and locked cpu if you won't overclock. I'll tell you a secret (not quite a secret ... :)) ). Even a locked cpu can be overclocked by raising the BCLK if the motherboard supports it but that is more complicated and I wouldn't recommend it as it aslo oc's PCIe , SATA ports etc. (just sth. to be aware of).