GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Several actually. Unimportant background info: I'm reinstalling Steam onto my F: drive since my C: drive is running out of space for it. I made the backup (all but the few files I'm having trouble deleting) & uninstalled Steam already.

Important background info:
So now I have just a few pesky files hanging around in my C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\(email)\(multiple sources from here) folder... All of them have the same CRC thing going on. "Cannot delete (Filename): Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

So thinking I might be able to get around it by deleting the files from the command prompt I go start up the little psuedo-DOS window. I don't think it would have a problem deleting the directory or files could I find them, but there's a problem...

I can't even find the Program Files folder.

Now I'm not exactly well versed in DOS (I believe I was 6 or 7 years old the last time I used it & I remember NOTHING) but is there any way I can delete these files?

Right now what I'm trying in the command prompt just to even manage LOCATING the Program Files folder are things like "dir c:\program files" & "dir c:\programfiles" and it can't even find the thing. =|

Any help or ideas on how to get rid of these files? And additionally the mystery of DOS commands would also be a nice thing to solve...

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
You will want to use CD C:/Program Files to move to that directory. The Dir command is used to list content (i.e. files and directories in the current directory.)

So, you'll want to cd c:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps or whatever folder and then del whatever files...

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
That seems blatantly obvious now... Thanks for the help! =P

EDIT: Crap, now even this won't work to delete them...

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
the del option has a /f for force...doesn't usually work tho

i'd say remove them from recovery console, but also it appears that they're not "really" on the file system anymore...something's sketchy about it

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Yeah, that didn't work. What's this recovery console you speak of? My knowledge of Windows XP goes fairly deep, but it's also not all that wide.

I think I forgot to mention it, but I am still using SP1, if that makes any difference for how to remove corrupted files.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
recovery console is sorta like the dos mode before you get into windows for xp

throw in your xp cd and let it boot off your cd rom drive
it'll get to a section asking what u want to do, there is an option to press "r" for the rc

more info here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

don't screw up in here, no way of reversing the changes, so make u're deleting the right stuff