Build Advice Trying to determine bottleneck - Excel 365 slowness

catlicor

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
I'm using a PC for business applications (lots of Excel applications, with large models and many colors). Works fine in Excel 2007, but find things slower in Excel 365. I find that the excel lags in certain situations (example: moving a window around by bar at top. example 2: Add a row in excel, but doesn't appear .... but if i pagedown and pageup, it is now there... just needed to be refreshed).
I'm trying to determine the cause of these performance issues:
CPU? Using Ryzen 7 2700.
GPU? Using FirePro w600 with six displays attached
Windows 10? Don't think this is the issue.
Office 365 itself? I do have AUTOSAVE turned on... but I also have these issues with AUTOSAVE turned off. I have already turned off Hardware Graphics Acceleration in Excel options per other suggestions (no impact)
memory? Pretty sure this is not issue. I have 32 GB RAM (and using less than 1/2 of this)

I want to fix if possible, but don't want to randomly get new stuff that won't help. Everything else in my computer works smoothly without issue. I do find these issues to be slightly worse with new computer using Ryzen 7 2700 @ 3.2 Ghz on Windows 10 Pro (vs old computer using i7-4770 @ 3.4 Ghz on Windows 7)... same w600 GPU.

Any thoughts? Or suggestions how to determine problem?

The new computer I'm using:
Windows 10 pro, Office 365. Ryan 7 2700 3.2Ghz CPU, 32 GB RAM, Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming motherboard, SSD, Firepro w600 card with 6 monitors connected. I have the latest AMD graphics Drivers.

I'd suggest monitoring disk usage, GPU usage and temps. Also, your GPU is a good few years old. Thermal paste could be wearing or near gone, GPU could be overheating which could cause lag like that.

CPU/Ram wise your plenty strong. Try running an instance of HWMon and open it up and set about your tasks. Then post a screen shot of HWmon. It will show us on the fly usage/temps/voltage for your CPU/Mobo/Ram/GPU and may help diagnose if it's a hardware issue.

catlicor

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Is this Excel 365 run from MS a portion of MS's Office 365, and, stored on OneDrive? (Naturally, that could induce some substantial delay, having to update changes to a doc online vs. having it stored locally.)

I also have the slight latency when I use new spreadsheet saved on local computer with Autosave Off. It is the downloaded version of Office 365 Excel.

catlicor

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
I'd suggest monitoring disk usage, GPU usage and temps. Also, your GPU is a good few years old. Thermal paste could be wearing or near gone, GPU could be overheating which could cause lag like that.

CPU/Ram wise your plenty strong. Try running an instance of HWMon and open it up and set about your tasks. Then post a screen shot of HWmon. It will show us on the fly usage/temps/voltage for your CPU/Mobo/Ram/GPU and may help diagnose if it's a hardware issue.

So here's the data from last few hours running this. Any thoughts? I need some help interpreting the data. Thanks.
308kuu0.jpg

Aha! Okay. So it looks to me like everything is in order/normal, but it also shows that you might have a balanced Windows profile, or power saving feature on. This is because your CPU downclocks. Try setting the windows power profile to High Performance and test again. Alternatively Google: AMD Windows Power profile and download that. I suspect the lag you are experiencing is the switching between certain clock speeds, based on the performance profile.

Apologies. To help interpret the data a little:

You CPU is running as it should. For the chosen setting. Your CPU is hitting it's max boost clock when needed. You'll notice your CPU max speed on the cores is approx 4095-4097, with one core boosting to 4365mhz. This is normal. So is the min speed 1392-1596. The CPU can adjust the speeds on the fly based on the CPU load, thermals etc. This is mostly to do with the Windows Power profile. Balanced or high performance, or user set.

All the other metrics you see, indicate a perfectly running system. Your CPU load/temps/voltage/usage are all exactly where they should be. Same with your motherboard readouts, memory usage, fan speeds, GPU/Disk usage.

That's why i think it's the power profile.

catlicor

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Aha! Okay. So it looks to me like everything is in order/normal, but it also shows that you might have a balanced Windows profile, or power saving feature on. This is because your CPU downclocks. Try setting the windows power profile to High Performance and test again. Alternatively Google: AMD Windows Power profile and download that. I suspect the lag you are experiencing is the switching between certain clock speeds, based on the performance profile.

OK, I raised Power Setting to HIGH PERFORMANCE. And here's what new version of HWMon shows. What do you think? (Also, what items are you seeing that are telling you this stuff?). I may notice a slight improvement... hard to tell.

t9gwgp.jpg

So, on the updated screenshot, your system is now running in high performance mode. This shows from the base/boost clocks and how different they are form your last post. The upshot being your CPU is running at it's best performance. If that helps great. If you still experience the lag then it very well may be a software issue or internet as mdd1963 suggested.

catlicor

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
So, on the updated screenshot, your system is now running in high performance mode. This shows from the base/boost clocks and how different they are form your last post. The upshot being your CPU is running at it's best performance. If that helps great. If you still experience the lag then it very well may be a software issue or internet as mdd1963 suggested.

Could it be that I'm being limited by the memory clock speed of my GPU (1000 MHz)? As the GPU is a few years old, I've noticed that this is somewhat of a low #. Any thoughts?