Trying to Diagnose what is going on with my computer, I'm stumped!

Jul 27, 2018
Hello everyone!

I've been having some issues with my computer for the last couple of months. It all started when i was watching a movie with my friends via discord. Out of nowhere my computer just turned off. I thought maybe my power had went out or something. My computer would not turn on at all. So i opened my case and did some inspection. After tinkering with it i came to find out that my computer would not power on with my graphics card installed in but then i took the graphics card out it would power up just fine. I went ahead and dusted out my computer and GPU, reinstalled and BOOM it started to work! So at first i just assumed it need a good dusting.

The next day i got everything hooked back up and powered on to realize that my second monitor was not being detected. To cut it short my computer was no longer identifying my GPU (NVIDIA Gforce GTX 980 Ti) The only way i was able to get my computer to identify it again was to do a complete reinstall of windows.

Now im here, certain games that i play will cause my computer to hard crash with a white/black screen and audio stutter in the back ground that will loop for like a minute before the audio stops and im just stuck at theses screens until i manually restart my computer. At first it was only happening with FF:XIV but after re-downloading Fallout 4 it finally happened with another game.

Some games are fine however. I can run League of legends, Overwatch, Dead by Daylight, and others for hours with experiencing no issues. So I'm just stumped. I feel like this is most likely a hardware issue but i don't know how to pinpoint which piece of hardware it could be.

I've also tried many type of software solutions that have not fixed anything really. I've found that if i play FFXIV in windowed mode and set the FPS to cap at 60 this reduces the hard crashing as long as i play in Dx9. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling NVIDIA drivers, Updating my mobo Bios, uninstalling and reinstalling the game(s), monitoring my CPU and GPU temps ( CPU stays at 32c and GPU gets no higher then 75c when playing intense games).

If anyone has any suggestion on what this might be i would greatly appreciate at! I'll attach a image to show you what im looking at when it crashes.

https://imgur.com/a/RGglaCo (yes the screen can go pink too)

My setup:
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti
MoBo: ASUS X99-A
RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR4
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G

Solution
Jul 27, 2018

Thank you for the reply!

1) My GPU temps are always relatively low, even now while im not playing anything my GPU temp is sitting at 52c.

2) I actually have not considered doing that, as I'm aware my GPU is still using the PCIE slot from before my computer randomly turned off months ago! (to be honest I'm kinda scared to take it out the PCIE slot because what if my computer doesn't identify it again)

3) I have never OC my computer. I never really saw the need to, I did try to adjust the voltage of my GPU to see if that would fix it- it didn't so i reverted it back to default settings..

OCD Tweaker

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
1) if your GPU is at 52c idle that worries me which leades me to believe when you are gaming its getting really hot and could of potentially damaged the card

2) the pink and white screens on your monitor also point to possible damage to the card as well. when your card is being strained it it displays pink dots randomly on your screen that flash

3) when you changed your voltage to the GPU how much did you increase them?

4) i would really try to change the PCIE lane on the mobo for 2 reasons

it might be the PCIE lane is not functioning correctly which would be better than the GPU being damaged

it would also could possible fix your issues completly

5) do you have proper airflow through your case?

EDIT
these are all hypothetical based on the information i have been given and my experiences with GPU's

Jul 27, 2018

AS of now the GPU is resting a 43c. I will try and change the PCIE slot today and get back to you, I'm hoping it is just the PCIE slot. If the problem persist then i guess ill just have to save up for a new GPU!

*update* I have changed the PCIE slot. So far I have not experienced any form of crashing from FFXIV or Fallout 4. I will continue to test for a day or so and let you know if the problem still persist.

Solution
Jul 27, 2018

Ok, i was going to say this was the solution but sadly i got the white screen again tonight after changing the PCIE slot. So maybe it is the GPU. Ive only had this GPU for like 2 years so it seems so strange for it to be the GPU. I don't receive any pink dots on my screen. Just a hard crash.