[SOLVED] Trying to enable ethernet in my apartment

Solution
See that we can not actually help you with. You are going to have to figure out where the cables go.

The good news is because you have ethernet cable and it appears to run from each room back to the central panel directly you can convert it.....well I guess it also depends on if you own or rent the apartment.

The best solution if it wan my house would be to pretty much rip out the phone panel and replace it with a rj45 data patch panel. You would then replace all the wall jacks with ethernet ports. You could then just plug them all into a small switch or router and all the ports would be on the network.

If you only need to do a couple ports you are going to have to find a way to know which cable goes where. They make...

kanewolf

Titan
There is no "ethernet". There is cat5 cabling. But it is tied back to a a phone consolidator. Notice the word "Voice" on the panel all the wires connect to.
So what can you do? You could break the phone infrastructure and use that wiring for ethernet by connecting those wires to a switch.
You have two terminated cables in your hand. Do you know where they connect to?

Mar 26, 2020
With what you put in, there is no wired network in the house, there is no patch panel for the wiring. Do you actually have network jacks (not phone jacks but network jacks) in the rooms?
they're phone jacks. just noticed. the wall jacks are whjte in color. there are these circular ports too tho. could you convert that to RJ45 and be able to use it as ethernet?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020
There is no "ethernet". There is cat5 cabling. But it is tied back to a a phone consolidator. Notice the word "Voice" on the panel all the wires connect to.
So what can you do? You could break the phone infrastructure and use that wiring for ethernet by connecting those wires to a switch.
You have two terminated cables in your hand. Do you know where they connect to?
i dont know where they connect to unfortunately

See that we can not actually help you with. You are going to have to figure out where the cables go.

The good news is because you have ethernet cable and it appears to run from each room back to the central panel directly you can convert it.....well I guess it also depends on if you own or rent the apartment.

The best solution if it wan my house would be to pretty much rip out the phone panel and replace it with a rj45 data patch panel. You would then replace all the wall jacks with ethernet ports. You could then just plug them all into a small switch or router and all the ports would be on the network.

If you only need to do a couple ports you are going to have to find a way to know which cable goes where. They make cable testers and cable locators that might help but it is rather tedious.

One trick I will share is if you can see the numbers on the cables on both end you can use the FT markers to try to match them The one in the photo show 870ft. If the other end of the cable is in a room say 20ft away the cable would say either 890 or 850 on the far end.

I would be careful of whatever that device is in the bottom of the cabinet. My guess is that is some form of security system and/or connects to your smoke detectors. Those red cables look like the type I have seen connected to smoke detectors.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS