Trying to figure out if I should have my SSD and HDD in AHCI or IDE.

Mikel_3

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
So I'm building a new gaming PC. The relavent parts are:
Crucial MX300 275GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Gigabyte LGA1151 Z171 ATX
Intel i5 6600K

My plan is to install Windows 10 on the SSD and have my HDD as a mass storage device for everything else. I've run into a bunch of different opinions on whether the SSD and HDD should be in AHCI mode. My question is what exactly should I do? Should I first boot my computer and set the SSD to AHCI mode and then proceed to install Windows (with the HDD unplugged) or keep everything in IDE mode and do the same process. I've seen some people switch to AHCI mode after Windows was installed. If someone could help shed some light on this for it it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Always configure this before you install Windows.

You want to be in AHCI mode. IDE mode is only there for compatibility with older versions of Windows that can't use the newer SATA standard.

Simply put, IDE mode limits the abilities of your motherboard. AHCI mode does not.
Always configure this before you install Windows.

You want to be in AHCI mode. IDE mode is only there for compatibility with older versions of Windows that can't use the newer SATA standard.

Simply put, IDE mode limits the abilities of your motherboard. AHCI mode does not.

Solution