[SOLVED] Trying to figure out the best cost-benefit path to upgrading my pc, could really use some help.

Mar 4, 2021
First things first, good evening everyone, appreciate any help given.

So, at the moment my machine is rounding up on 8 years now, I believe. Here are its specs:

Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 MS-7788
CPU: Intel i5-3470 3.2ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
RAM: 2x DDR3 4gb 1333mhz
Storage: Sandisk 240gb SSD + old 500gb 7200rpm
Power supply: EVGA 600w 80 plus bronze

Most of it has been through one or two iterations of upgrades, with the exception of the motherboard and the CPU. Now, I could buy a slightly better cpu that is actually supported by the motherboard, but I think that, taking into account its age, I should just exchange both of them; and while I'm at it also get away from intel. For that I was thinking of getting a Ryzen 5 3600, plus a motherboard that supports it, but upon reading a bit thought that'd be a bit of an overly powerful CPU for what I have, and with that thought I came to the one place that always has answers. swearing removed by mod. Please don't swear on this forum.

Now as for the questions and advice I need:

1 - Would you recommend AMD?
2 - Any specific CPUs that wouldn't be overkill, cost-benefit wise?
3 - Any recommendations of motherboards for said CPU?
4 - Any advice to a noob who has never changed his motherboard alone?
5 - Should I got for the highest supported speed RAM for the new motherboard, or is that not a priority?

And that's about. I apologize for my ramblings and thank anyone who could give me any sort of advice!

Tl;dr: Want upgrade for games. Old build. Want good cost-benefit mobo+cpu combo for the rest of my specs, while also thinking of future upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Amd is a fine choice. Intel isn't bad either. For a general gaming machine you won't go wrong with either. It's really going to depend on your budget. Figure out how much you are spending, on the cpu, and then pick a board.

As for how i suggest watching YouTube videos. I've built a lot of machines, upgraded a lot more, and feel I've basically seen it all. I helped my dad swap a board when i was 6 or 7, and I'm now over 40. If you've never done this before watching others do it will help. Doesn't matter which video. Just watch them and pay attention to what they all do, what works well, and hopefully someone talks about or shows what doesn't work. It's actually really simple to do this. Though I've done it more times than i...

4745454b

Titan
Amd is a fine choice. Intel isn't bad either. For a general gaming machine you won't go wrong with either. It's really going to depend on your budget. Figure out how much you are spending, on the cpu, and then pick a board.

As for how i suggest watching YouTube videos. I've built a lot of machines, upgraded a lot more, and feel I've basically seen it all. I helped my dad swap a board when i was 6 or 7, and I'm now over 40. If you've never done this before watching others do it will help. Doesn't matter which video. Just watch them and pay attention to what they all do, what works well, and hopefully someone talks about or shows what doesn't work. It's actually really simple to do this. Though I've done it more times than i care to count.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Solution