Question Trying to figure out the cause of a dying GPU ?

ConnorCon

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
around the start of may my gpu (which had been struggling on and off for about half a year) decided it was done and I haven't been able to bring it back to its old self since. I've tried a few potential fixes; new drivers, old drivers, reseating... etc, but no dice so far.
was wondering if the event viewer in windows could shed some light on the cause as there are a lot of critical errors around the time it gave up.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cwSurtB

any help appreciated!

Specs:
gpu: nvidia gtx 770
mobo: gigabyte b550m s2h
cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600 6 core
16gb ram

D

Deleted member 362816

Most likely the Vram failing pretty common on 7xx,9xx, and 1xxx over time. I have had great success with a toaster over bring these cards back with similar issues. I don't recommend to try this though unless you are comfortable doing so.

ConnorCon

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Most likely the Vram failing pretty common on 7xx,9xx, and 1xxx over time. I have had great success with a toaster over bring these cards back with similar issues. I don't recommend to try this though unless you are comfortable doing so.
I was thinking that might be it, windows and gpuz still recognise the card but both show it as having no vram :(. have tried installing a new bios on it but that didn't wanna work, so my absolute last resort is the oven, although I'm not (that much of) an idiot and don't wanna cook it where I cook food unless there are safe ways of doing it lol

D

Deleted member 362816

I was thinking that might be it, windows and gpuz still recognise the card but both show it as having no vram :(. have tried installing a new bios on it but that didn't wanna work, so my absolute last resort is the oven, although I'm not (that much of) an idiot and don't wanna cook it where I cook food unless there are safe ways of doing it lol

Never cook it where you cook food. I have a small oven I use particularly for this. If it shows no vram 99% chance that is the issue, Seen it many many times. My success rate is around 75% over at least 30 cards doing this. Mostly GTX 1070's. Follow some guides and don't raise the temp to much.

ConnorCon

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Never cook it where you cook food. I have a small oven I use particularly for this. If it shows no vram 99% chance that is the issue, Seen it many many times. My success rate is around 75% over at least 30 cards doing this. Mostly GTX 1070's. Follow some guides and don't raise the temp to much.
hmm.. any ideas where I could find somewhere with an oven to do that kinda thing? otherwise the only other thing I can think of is to seal it in plastic and cook it but that's most probably a bad idea lol

D

Deleted member 362816

hmm.. any ideas where I could find somewhere with an oven to do that kinda thing? otherwise the only other thing I can think of is to seal it in plastic and cook it but that's most probably a bad idea lol

I use a $30 Walmart toaster oven.

Goodwill or thrift stores often have these for 5-10$

I do run a temp probe to make sure the internal temp by the PCB is correct as these things aren't known to be very accurate.

Here is how I look at it, You have nothing to loose lol.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Toaster-Oven-Red-with-Gray-Accents-31146/51755733

D

Deleted member 362816

Another note I don't know what your situation is for money but better to call it a loss and pickup a $100 gtx 1060 6GB off eBay or FB market place people are dumping those lately pretty cheap, Nice upgrade over a 770

ConnorCon

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Another note I don't know what your situation is for money but better to call it a loss and pickup a $100 gtx 1060 6GB off eBay or FB market place people are dumping those lately pretty cheap, Nice upgrade over a 770
aye am probably gonna upgrade regardless, was thinking of maybe a used 6600 (currently about £200-250) if I can get one cheap or a 1660 as they are deffo going cheap(er than a 6600 at around £150) over here in the uk

D

Deleted member 362816

Had the same errors, changing my PSU fixed it. It may be the same or not, also is your PSU bought second-hand or brand new?

In what world would a non loaded GPU show no Vram due to a subpar PSU? Grasping at straws here.

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
In what world would a non loaded GPU show no Vram due to a subpar PSU? Grasping at straws here.

The PSU is Modular, make sure you have the 6+2 pins connected to your GPU, most common mistake that people do is plugging the 4+4 CPU connector into the GPU which can cause errors or/and hardware failure.

IMO the easiest way to test the GPU is at fault is to insert it into another system to see if the problem still exists.

Capture.png