[SOLVED] Trying to figure out what's needed for a custom loop ?

May 21, 2021
So, my current situation is I've got an air cooled CPU and GPU. My CPU stays cool, however my GPU gets hot during gaming sessions, reaching about 70 C. I've considered using an AIO adapter for the GPU, however with my case layout it would be an eyesore. As a result, I've decided to go the custom loop route, fraught with peril as it is.

Allow me to say that I am NOT looking for product suggestions--I tried to get some advice from Reddit and it seemed like everyone wanted to give me product suggestions instead of advice. I want an EK Classic Water Block for the GPU, I want clear tubing, my case has space for a 360 rad, and I don't want to use hardline tubes.

The relevant points are I've got an Phanteks vertical Mount GPU riser, to which is mounted an EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra, inside of a Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Pro RGB. Yes, I know the front panel is restrictive and doesn't help temps. I've got a plan to deal with that.

With that out of the way, what I'm asking for is help with figuring out some stuff. I've been told to watch out for plasticizer in tubing and to go with EK ZMT. That's not something I'm interested in because it's not clear, even if it is a safer bet. I'm planning on using Primoflex LRT, but I would prefer to use the EK clear tubing just because it will be cheaper. I don't know if it's got the plasticizer in it, however.

I also don't know if I need to get some kind of mounting bracket to mount my reservoir. I don't know if there's other things I need to watch out for either, for example, how big of an issue is debris in a new radiator, and if that's also an issue with water blocks.

I just want to do this right the first time, and any advice will help me greatly.

Solution
70c isn't high at all.
It's perfectly normal and even pretty cool.

That aside, all you really need is this:
Tubing
A pump
Blocks for whatever you want to cool
A rad
And preferably a reservoir (Not actually 100% needed, but makes it much easier to clean, fill and just looks better)

Basically, with modern watercooling parts, you don't have to worry about much like debris and stuff like that.
Just don't mix metals and you'll be fine.
The only thing you need to watch out for is to fill the loop and drain the bubbles as much as possible, use a disinfectant and use distilled water.

These 3 things are the main reasons for maintenance in a loop, so if you do these at the start, you won't need to tinker with it that much.
70c isn't high at all.

Tubing
A pump
A rad
And preferably a reservoir (Not actually 100% needed, but makes it much easier to clean, fill and just looks better)

Basically, with modern watercooling parts, you don't have to worry about much like debris and stuff like that.
The only thing you need to watch out for is to fill the loop and drain the bubbles as much as possible, use a disinfectant and use distilled water.

These 3 things are the main reasons for maintenance in a loop, so if you do these at the start, you won't need to tinker with it that much.

Solution
May 21, 2021
70c isn't high at all.

Tubing
A pump
A rad

Eh, I've noticed that my graphics card tends to be more stable at lower temperatures and will even boost much higher. As an example, the card boosts to well over 2000 mhz when cooler (like, 40-45 C), but will barely boost past 1900 when in the 65-70 range. It might not seem like much, but for whatever reason I'll get an extra 10-15 FPS when the card is cooler before it heat soaks the entire case. Like, exhaust fan air measures at 130 degrees F.

I can get the card to run in the 50 C range, but that's with maxed fan curves and the side panel off. I am planning on getting a pump/res combo unit. Thanks for clearing up my questions.