Trying to find a gaming card for older PCI...not PCI-e PCI express

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello...I just read and replied to a thread where a guy wanted to add a graphics card, to his older desktop...same thing I need to do.

I need a good performance card for the older type PCI socket...not a PCI-e / PCI express.... because my older HP a1240n mother board, does not allow for AGP or PCI-e.

And from all the reading I have done, there is no such thing as an aftermarket adapter which "correctly" adapts a regular PCI slot to AGP or PCI-e....meaning it will perform 100% as it should.

This is a shame because my other desktop, a HP a620n does have AGP and it has a Radeon X850 PRO, that I installed back when they were new on the market.

....But my HP a620n w/Radeon X850 PRO will not support a CPU over 2.2ghz. I can play a MMO such as "Dungeons and Dragons online" but a game such as "Tera online", requires a 3.2mhz or better CPU.

My HP a1240n mother board only has a 3.0mhz CPU, so I just bought an "upgrade" (CPU 3.4mhz --Socket: LGA775 #550 Intel processor...which is the largest CPU the board will support) This is the board I have: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00361570&lc=en&cc=us&product=1130587

I then bought a refurbished Radeon X850XT Platinum graphics card for it BUT....then wen I received it, realized the Radeon X850XT is PCI-e ....not the basic PCI...so I can't even use it.

I'm now I'm back to the drawing board.....trying to find a "good" gaming card, for my old HP a1240n system.

Any suggestions? Ebay is full of them.... cheap...but I want to get the best one I can.

Solution
go with my build ull be happy.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $287.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 21:08 EST-0500)
I saw the post for the 4350 and was like NO!!!!!! I have one, so I know(it JUST managed to push media center).

The Athon XP 3200 is actually faster then some of the 3GHz P4's(not on all programs, but yeah) anyway and the Athlon 64's @ 2.2 could beat out a 3.0-3.2 P4 as for sure. The gigahertz battle is long over(many lower clocked newer cpus are faster then the older but high clocked chips).

Now as others have said, that is VERY old hardware and not worth upgrading.

iceclock sent you a build that is years ahead. While it is not top end it should at least let you play more modern games at reduced settings.

Also watch it when upgrading 775 systems as the Core2 duo chips are NOT supported on old boards, but they are WAY faster then the P4 ever was(you are talking 1.8-2.0Ghz chips beating 3.0GHz chips fast). P4's are just not worth upgrading most of the time.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Ok...that I didn't know.

When I downloaded Tera 4 attempts... at eventually for 20 hours...(almost not worth the effort and aggravation) it wouldn't run, so I ran the "Can I Run It" program found online.

It showed my Radeon X850 Pro passed their run test but the minimum required CPU must be 3.2Ghz. My HP a620n AMD 3200+only had 2.2Ghz...so it showed as failed

I figured it was just a matter of my slow a620n's CPU.

That's what gave me the idea of upgrading my other computer...HP 12340n from 3.0Ghz up to 3.4Ghz...and figured all would be ok.

...then I realized the a1240n is only PCI...no AEG or PCI-e.

The X850 XT is a SM2.0 model(DX9). The game needs SM3.0(DX9c). While the X850 XT was the FASTEST thing when it came out, newer versions of DX have made it rather old now.

They spec a Athlon 64 3200 as the min. That was a 2.0Ghz(2.2 on later versions) single core chip :). Would run bad I guess on the min specs either way.
teraw.png

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
So even better news.... that neither my (AGP) Radeon X850 Pro or (PCI-e) X850 XT Platinum will work anyway, if I weant to play MMO's such as Tera.

My(AGP) Radeon X850 Pro works pretty good to play DDO.com even on the recommended setting (high setting)...although sometimes there is noticeable lag time and stalling going on.

DDO can get by on much less(64 MB Hardware T&L[cards have had this for a while] -compatible video card). Have you looked at how much space you need to install TERA. Thats insane. I wonder how much is used AFTER install(I assume lots of it is for decompressing ect.)

I can not give you a 100% since I have never tried a lower end SM2.0 card on TERA(I am SURE my friend is going to want to me to play this when it goes F2P). Some games just want DX9c installed, but still work on older cards. That game lists X1600XT(a SM3.0 card, but not THAT fast).

Here is a quick build i did if you want to go with discrete graphics card instead of apu http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlVT
CPU

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $72.74(Currently toms suggested CPU for $75) Amazon
Motherboard

ECS A960M-M2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $49.28 Amazon
Memory

Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $39.00 Amazon
Video Card

MSI Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card $99.99 -$10.00 $4.99 $94.98 Newegg
$10.00 mail-in rebate
Power Supply

Antec Basiq 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply $42.39 Amazon
Base Total: $303.40
Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
Shipping: $4.99
Total: $298.39

You would need a 64bit OS to take advantage 8GB of RAM but you could run on a 32bit OS and just use 2GB if you so desire, 40+ is not so old IMO.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
look at these spesc for the hp a1240 this board do not have a agp or pci-e slot it only have a onbord video chipset so it is a waste of money to try update this board your better start to raise fund for another system as the other members of the forum tel you,specs of your motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00361570&lc=en you wont be able to play any newer games on this board so follow the forum members advice .

No offence BUT :
Ever heard of syntax or formatting???

Also change your quote, it should be "My rewards are helping."

You are driving my OCD to insane levels...

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
@ Novuake english is not my first language but i do my best to make me understand ,no offence to you also but i would like to see you write in my language without making error and your the first one making comment on what and the way i write it ) salutations scout_03

Afrikaans is my first language... LOL

VERY far from English... But hey, perspective i guess.. :D

No worries mate.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I was into the idea that Tera is scheduled F2P on Feb 5th. I thought I would give it a try, while they are doing their open play time over the last week. This is a game that is a PITA to download. But that aside...its huge and like I said...20 hours via my DSL connection.

But anyway....if I'm going to do a build for MMO's, I really dont want to have to put out or can afford too expensive for a graphics card. (Mostly because my wife wouldn't be too happy and there are always bills to pay)

My Radeon X850 PRO as I recall was around $350...today, too rich for my blood, so I am satisfied with something on the lower end of technology, but really don't want to have to play on low settings.

It would be nice to play games such as TERA on a high setting (normal I suppose) and more appreciate some games (like DDO.com), as long as I can do it within reason. If my Radeon X850 PRO looks as good as it does for DDO.com, a better/newer card might be pretty amazing.

my opinion, it is not worth it. the performance will be bad, the hassle would be too much, it will probably be expensive (especially for the amount of performance).

my take? save you money, get a new rig. It's like buying a ram, ddr3 are dirt cheap, if you have an older pc with ddr2 it will be more expensive to buy rams, and you will not be able to use them to another pc

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

He's right...being in your 40's isn't so old. At least that how you look at it when you get there ...or beyond...right? While in my teens (gaming on my VIC20 then on my C-64) I though 40's was ancient.

But now... I wish I knew half the stuff people 1/3 my age know about this stuff.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I agree Scout_03...you guys have quickly convinced me that doing a build is the best way to go rather than mess around with trying in vain to upgrade older technology. Hopefully I can just use the case and some of the hardware out of one computer and build a system just devoted to gaming.

A very nice price/performance card right now that does not cost an arm and a leg would be the HD7770.

Here is a one :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

That coupled with an I3 really is great value for money if you can at least afford that.

Good old vic 20. and its memory expansion(or games) cartridge and tape drive :)

Load(for some reason i though it need an 8 or * or $ or something too) -> Press play on tape :)

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I checked the card out and one orf the reviews mentions "-7.5 rating on gaming graphics performance in windows rating. (The highest you can get is 7.9)", so its certainly worth looking into a little further at $115.

Avoid using Windows rating, but yeah, its a pretty amazing card at 115$(99$ after rebate).

It will run any modern game easily and Tera maxed out for sure.

twstd1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500262

That's probably the fastest PCI card out there. It would meet the minimum specs I'm sure. One of the comments from a verified owner says that he is using this card to play rift. It is at low detail but from what he says it's playable. It seems like hardly anyone knows this card even exists. Which is understandable because not to many people use older PC's for gaming anymore.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I only had the VIC20 (with 1530 datasette) 2 maybe 3 weeks (around 1982 or 83) but then my friend was playing ULTIMA III on his C64 and quickly convinced me return the VIC20 and pay a little more for the C64. Then I had to save up to buy a 1541 Floppy Drive for it. Life was good indeed.

WOW!!! Pretty damn impressive find, horrible card that won't perform like a normal GT610, but still a great find.

Still would not do it though. Intel HD onboard graphics can even match up to that thing.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I still have XP Home Edition in both my computers, so I have never used the Window rating that I understand is a feature of newer operating systems. But even if its a little off in its rating...at that price..not too bad.

Off the top of your head, are there any other PCI-e cards that come to mind...in a similar price range which would offer a little more quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.