Trying to find new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You guys on the forums have been great with all of my desktop questions, but I'm also looking at getting a new laptop this year to replace my 4 year old one.

This laptop will be a tax write-off for me (love being self employed), but I don't want to break the bank on it either. Looking to spend between $1,000 and $1,200.

I'd like it to have a Core 2 Duo processor, at least 1 gig of RAM (would like to have 2), at least 60 gigs of HD 5400 RPM (anything over 80 or so would just be a waist for me I'd think), DVD burner, and hopefully a dedicated video card (nvidia if possible). I'd also REALLY want it in a 15.4 inch widescreen (don't want to carry around a 17 inch laptop everywhere).

Currently I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 with a 1.7 gHz P4, 40 gig HD, 512 MB RAM, DVD ROM, and an Nvidia geforce2 go. It's fine for all my sales software, but DVDs can be slow and choppy, gaming doesn't exist, it doesn't have USB 2, can't burn any kinds of CD/DVD, the battery is shot, and anything processor intensive can take a long while.

Anyway, I'll be using it mostly for work related stuff (sales software, office software, web usage, e-mail). Aside from that, I'll use it to store and organize mP3s, pictures, and other media, watch and burn DVDs, and some light gaming.

First question is, how are the geforce 7300 and 7400 for gaming? I can't seem to find anything more powerful in a 15.4 inch laptop for under $1,200. I've looked at Dell, HP, and some Asus laptops on Newegg. Any other suggestions of where to look?

Thanks for any help you might have.

If you are willing to spend about 100 more and are ok with a 14.1" screen instead, Asus' A8 series has everything you want . Newegg has three different types in terms of graphics. Either Intel GMA 950 (avoid at all cost), Nvidia go7600 or ATi X1700. Other than that it is tough to find a GOOD GPU in a laptop for that cheap.

What games are you looking to play? Game performance with the 73/7400 depends on the game. If you play RTS' like WOW or C&C you should be fine, but if you play FPS' you will be in trouble with those two cards.

A8JP

A8JM

The first link would best fit what you asked for (besides 15.4 screen).

tequilaz

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The system below is my laptop...
its HP pavilion dv6000

total price was $1100

I love it and as far as gaming goes, I'm sure it can play Doom3 and half life on medium. X3 gave me 25 fps and that game is heavy on the graphics.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
As this computer will live on my desk at the office, I don't want anything that's got too much "bling" like the XPS (or whatever dell calls their high ends), or the Alienware ones. With one of those, everyone will know I'm just messing on my laptop all day, right now they only suspect it...

Anyway, how come you can get better graphics cards on a 14 inch screen chassis than on a 15.4 inch screen chassis? That's a little bassackwards if you ask me. Again, don't want to step it up to the 17 inch screen. I'm liking the looks of the Asus and the HP. You can really fill them up with some good stuff, yet they still can pas for an "office acceptable" piece of hardware.

Any other suggestions?

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
As this computer will live on my desk at the office, I don't want anything that's got too much "bling" like the XPS (or whatever dell calls their high ends), or the Alienware ones. With one of those, everyone will know I'm just messing on my laptop all day, right now they only suspect it...

Anyway, how come you can get better graphics cards on a 14 inch screen chassis than on a 15.4 inch screen chassis? That's a little bassackwards if you ask me. Again, don't want to step it up to the 17 inch screen. I'm liking the looks of the Asus and the HP. You can really fill them up with some good stuff, yet they still can pas for an "office acceptable" piece of hardware.

Any other suggestions?

Because HP needes to give variety and since 14.1" fits into the mobile category, they will not offer.
Good news
The size of the 15" is almost the same as the 14 with the exception of the weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS