Question Trying to find out why I can only run games at 50-60 fps

Dec 10, 2022
Good day to all.

First of all, I'm not very experienced in general, so please go easy on me if there is any kind of User error that I'm making, or anything like that.

I recently changed from a Series S to a PC.

These are the specs.

Ryzen 7 1700.
Evga GTX 1080-8GB
16 GB Ddr4 ram at 3000mhz (2933, Xmp is on and working fine)
MSI B350 Gaming plus motherboard.
1 ssd - 200gb
1hdd - 1tb

I mostly play Destiny 2 and Fortnite.
In destiny 2, I get around 40-50 fps in "high mob density areas", so in general, any activity.

As per what I see online, most of the people with similar specs, are running the game at higher FPS, in Ultra. (I have everything on medium).

Fortnite same thing, I can't run the game smoothly at any configuration/settings.

My idea was, upgrade my GPU to a 2060, although after some research, it seems I would be better with my 1080, as it seems to get similar or slightly better performance comparing to the 2060.

So I reinstalled the OS on the SSD, updated all the drivers in the GPU, changed some of the settings in the OS to get higher performance, but that is not helping, in some cases the performance even gets worse when I reduce the game settings even more, more choppy, less fps, etc.

My second thought, was, maybe having a 75hz monitor is impacting the performance, I run a DPP cable, tried V-sync, it helps a bit with the choppiness, but in general it's still unplayable.

Would this be my old CPU, causing any kind of bottleneck or something?
It seems strange to change from a less then 300eur console to a PC, even if the specs are fairly "old" and not even being able to pla the games the console runs smoothly. (same resolution too, 1080).

Or even my motherboard that is very old and somewhat is limiting my hardware?

Any ideas/help?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Specs shouldn't be an issue with those two games, especially Fortnite. Destiny 2 would depend on how much ram you have which you didn't clarify. 8gb isn't really enough (Windows tax's 2~3gb for itself) so 16gb, 2x 8gb for dual channel performance would also go along way.

Check thermals, cpu temp especially, with Ryzen Master making sure it's not running lower speeds while cpu is working.

Maybe try 10% minimum processor state under properties for Windows balanced power plan.

Try install latest chipset drivers for your motherboard (B350) from Amd.com.

Can try running Userbenchmark website and link results page. This site doesn't favour Amd much but it's useful in other ways ranging from clock speeds, bios revision and background usage. Restart pc before running it.

Dec 10, 2022
Specs shouldn't be an issue with those two games, especially Fortnite. Destiny 2 would depend on how much ram you have which you didn't clarify. 8gb isn't really enough (Windows tax's 2~3gb for itself) so 16gb, 2x 8gb for dual channel performance would also go along way.

Check thermals, cpu temp especially, with Ryzen Master making sure it's not running lower speeds while cpu is working.

Maybe try 10% minimum processor state under properties for Windows balanced power plan.

Try install latest chipset drivers for your motherboard (B350) from Amd.com.

Can try running Userbenchmark website and link results page. This site doesn't favour Amd much but it's useful in other ways ranging from clock speeds, bios revision and background usage. Restart pc before running it.
Sorry, my mistake, 16gb.

Temps are not an issue, 22-35ish in idle, around 65ish in game, I have a big case, 1 exhaust fan in the back, 2 intake in the front, I did some decent cable management, so no cables or anything messing with airflow.

I will try the installation of the drivers in the MB, to be honest I did not do that yet.