[SOLVED] Trying to find the best SSD option for older desktop

rushrage

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out what the best update would be for my older desktop computer. Currently I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro (128 GB) SSD and have loved it, but I need more space. I bought the thing a while ago and am trying to get caught up on SSD's, especially the PCIe stuff. The two that I was eyeing were: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 [Amazon] and HP EX920 M.2 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe [Newegg].

But I've been reading that if you don't have a m.2 slot than your speeds are going to be hindered a lot. Since my rig is a little older I'm running a ASRock LGA1155 motherboard [pcpartpicker] which only has PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x1 slots (and SATA 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s ports). So would I really benefit from an NVMe SSD? Or should I just stick with something SATA related, like the Samsung 860 EVO [Neweeg]?

Thank you so much for your help!

Solution
In theory, with a PCIe adapter in the x16/x8 slot, then you could see theoretical gains.

However, outside of benchmarks and perhaps shaving a second or two off of booth times, a SATA3 SSD isn't likely to perform noticeably different.
I'd opt for a SATA3 SSD in this instance - given an M.2/NVMe would also require the purchase of an adapter.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In theory, with a PCIe adapter in the x16/x8 slot, then you could see theoretical gains.

However, outside of benchmarks and perhaps shaving a second or two off of booth times, a SATA3 SSD isn't likely to perform noticeably different.
I'd opt for a SATA3 SSD in this instance - given an M.2/NVMe would also require the purchase of an adapter.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Whats the rest of your build consist of?
With a 3rd gen CPU you could use the 2nd x16 slot and your GPU would be fine with 8 pcie3 lanes. Theother 8 would get allocated to the 2nd x16 slot for the NVME drive.

You would need to update to the Beta bios to be able to boot from the drive though so do some homework/research on how stable it is since it'd been nearly 2 years since it released and is still beta...

otherwise your NVME will not be a bootable but fine for programs or general storage.

For a motherboard of that age, booting from NVME is problematic and a hassle, if it works at all.
Most of those adapters require modded bios files to be bootable.
Realistically a quality SATA III SSD would perform pretty similarly and will waste less of your money and time.

I would reccomend a 240/250/256gb or larger SSD. I think the 250 or 500gb Crucial MX500 or 860 evo would be a good pairing.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4mkj4D/crucial-mx500-250gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct250mx500ssd1
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sNc48d/samsung-860-evo-250gb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e250bam
The MX500 and 860 Evo perform similarly but the MX500 is a lot cheaper.

popatim

Titan
...AsRock does have a Beta bios that allows NVME boot for this motherbd so you don't need to install someones mod'ed bios.

Still, I would go with a Sata SSD for the much easier upgrade.
NVME boot would probably require a fresh install of everything since the motherbd would need to be in UEFI mode and the drive formatted as GPT. Odds are, imo, the current build is in Legacy Bios mode and MBR which won't be bootable after a clone.

...AsRock does have a Beta bios that allows NVME boot for this motherbd so you don't need to install someones mod'ed bios.

Still, I would go with a Sata SSD for the much easier upgrade.
NVME boot would probably require a fresh install of everything since the motherbd would need to be in UEFI mode and the drive formatted as GPT. Odds are, imo, the current build is in Legacy Bios mode and MBR which won't be bootable after a clone.
I think you can convert your current drive to GPT and then clone it, but best to just buy a sata drive.

rushrage

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2012
For a motherboard of that age, booting from NVME is problematic and a hassle, if it works at all.
Most of those adapters require modded bios files to be bootable.
Realistically a quality SATA III SSD would perform pretty similarly and will waste less of your money and time.

I would reccomend a 240/250/256gb or larger SSD. I think the 250 or 500gb Crucial MX500 or 860 evo would be a good pairing.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4mkj4D/crucial-mx500-250gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct250mx500ssd1
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sNc48d/samsung-860-evo-250gb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e250bam
The MX500 and 860 Evo perform similarly but the MX500 is a lot cheaper.
Thank you all for your help! I'll just stick with a SATA III SSD. I'll probably shoot for a terabyte, at which case the Evo is $30 more than the Crucial. Would it be worth the extra $30? The main thing that I'm interested in is the longevity.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX