[SOLVED] Trying to fit stock AMD cooler to motherboard.

Sep 29, 2020
I have tried my hardest, but some screws thread with the bracket while some don't thread. I don't know if the parts are not compatible or what, but can you help me with this issue?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B-550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Solution
Check the cpu placement. You should have had to lift the little arm up, align the golden triangle to the correct corner of the socket, drop in the cpu, put slight pressure on the cpu with a fingertip and drop/lock the arm.

If you didn't do that originally, the cpu could be sitting too high in the socket to allow the cooler to mount properly.

If you didn't do that, you may want to also check the pins on the back of the cpu, just in case you accidentally bent some.

That cpu and motherboard should be a breeze to get a cooler mounted on.
Sep 29, 2020
You'd remove the preinstalled latch mounting, attach the backplate (comes with the motherboard) and screw in the Wraith Stealth cooler.

This video should help (it was a quick Google search and I haven't listened to audio etc).

View: https://youtu.be/WbvKjsuznBk
I saw this video and tried to do it, but no matter how hard I tried the screws would not go into the back plate bracket. They would stay above the bracket and no matter how much force I put on it would not go down and thread.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stop. Looks like you are tightening fully 1 screw at a time.

When installing coolers using 4 screws, barely start 1 corner, then go to the opposite and get that started. Then start a different corner, swap to the opposite. Get all 4 screws started, then proceed to tighten in an 'X' pattern until the screws stop or you need to use force to get them tighter. Should be snug, not cranked over-tight.

Reactions: Barty1884
Sep 29, 2020
Stop. Looks like you are tightening fully 1 screw at a time.

When installing coolers using 4 screws, barely start 1 corner, then go to the opposite and get that started. Then start a different corner, swap to the opposite. Get all 4 screws started, then proceed to tighten in an 'X' pattern until the screws stop or you need to use force to get them tighter. Should be snug, not cranked over-tight.
In order for the screw to actually go into one corner, even if it is barely, I have to put a lot of pressure on the stock cooler, which kind of scares me.

Sep 29, 2020
I am trying to install a stock AMD cpu cooler, but when I position it over the cpu and put it down three of the spring loaded screws align perfectly but the last one is slightly raised above the backplate bracket. Could you suggest any solutions?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)

Thanks in advance for responses:)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then there's something wrong, the cooler should require some pressure, that's a given, to be tight to the cpu, but nothing wrist breakingly hard. You should be using the stock backplate and the screws that came with the cooler, nothing else required. The screws are spring loaded, so you should use a Philip head screwdriver to start each screw. The backplate has raised nuts which should go through the holes in the motherboard. Very simple process

Sep 29, 2020
Then there's something wrong, the cooler should require some pressure, that's a given, to be tight to the cpu, but nothing wrist breakingly hard. You should be using the stock backplate and the screws that came with the cooler, nothing else required. The screws are spring loaded, so you should use a Philip head screwdriver to start each screw. The backplate has raised nuts which should go through the holes in the motherboard. Very simple process
I am doing exactly this, but one of the four screws is raising out of reach of the extended back plate nuts every time I screw one in, do you have a solution for this?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check the cpu placement. You should have had to lift the little arm up, align the golden triangle to the correct corner of the socket, drop in the cpu, put slight pressure on the cpu with a fingertip and drop/lock the arm.

If you didn't do that originally, the cpu could be sitting too high in the socket to allow the cooler to mount properly.

If you didn't do that, you may want to also check the pins on the back of the cpu, just in case you accidentally bent some.

That cpu and motherboard should be a breeze to get a cooler mounted on.

Solution

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
I am doing exactly this, but one of the four screws is raising out of reach of the extended back plate nuts every time I screw one in, do you have a solution for this?

Redo.
Mr.Karadjgne has provide good pattern "X" idea. Do 1 X "Half Screw" and 1 X "Full Screw" (2X total Step)

I just provide the idea on installing the Stock cooler:
Firstly before proceeding:
-Do not make any installation on MOBO inside Casing, you want "Full View"/"Control" and "Eye Sight" as much you can. Do the mobo installation outside of casing.
-Use Mobo Box as table if needed.

The Step for cooler:
1.lining up the 4 screw hole.
2.pressure and "Half Screw" each opposite of 4 Hole [the first X Step]
3.Check and make sure all screw are "Half goes in".
4.Begin "Full Screw" each Opposite of 4 Hole [The Second X Step]