[SOLVED] Trying to fix a PC problem that involves BSOD, freezes, and black screens. Any suggestions?

Apr 3, 2023
I've been experiencing a lot of crashes and BSOD errors on my Windows 10 PC. It happens more often during intensive tasks such as 3D rendering (using GPU renderers like Octane), but also just at random moments. The most frequent BSOD error is DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

I'm no PC expert so I apologize first of all for my ignorance. I've been searching a lot online for information. Here is what I have attempted (unsuccessfully) so far:

- Updated NVIDIA drivers

- Updated to the latest version of Windows 10

- Ran a DISM command

- Ran a CHKDSK command

- Ran an System File Checker (SFC) scan (no errors)

- Ran DDU and installed latest drivers

- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (no errors)

- Dusted the inside of the computer

- Updated Octane Render plugin

- Updated display drivers

- Scanned and fixed system files

I have 2 GPUs for 3D rendering, and I've been monitoring the temperature when the crashes occur. They don't seem unusually high. In the past they've reached around 70-80 degrees celsius without crashing during really intensive renders. But when these crashes occur they are nowhere near these temperatures.

In the event viewer the critical event is alway 41-kernel power.

Based on everything I tried my best guess is that the PSU might be failing?

I'm going to get it checked by a professional soon, but if anyone has any ideas of what I could try before that, it would be much appreciated.

Uploaded the dump files here https://www.mediafire.com/folder/262em2pvbw6k4/Minidump

EDIT (added make and model of all components):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - Processor 3.8 GHz
CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Motherboard: Asrock X570 Taichi
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT - 4 x 16GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
GPU #1: ASUS TURBO-RTX2080TI-11G
GPU #2: ASUS TURBO-RTX2080TI-11G
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power PRO 11 1200W
Chassis: CORSAIR Carbide Series Air 540
Monitor #1: Dell UltraSharp U3417W
Monitor #2: Dell UltraSharp U2718Q

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

You might want to also open up Device Manager and see if anything is flagged with an error.

I looked at one dump, got a error on the rest.
the file violates our terms of service and the download was blocked.

the first bugcheck was a watchdog time out.
it was in the video driver. it took too long.
I would do the following:
- delete your system pagefile.sys by turning off virtual memory reboot and turn it back on.

-you need to update your real tek sound driver for your motherboard to a version that was created in 2020 or newer. the one from 2019 responds to other sound sources (like your gpu sound driver) and overflows their buffer and causes the other driver to crash.

you also have some very old software on your system. (unrelated to the bugcheck) cbdisk.sys from 2010
CBDisk.sys Windows process - What is it? (file.net)
LogMeIn Pro by LogMeIn. from 2017 looks like it is installed. (i would remove it if you do not actively use it)
some others installed as well (but mostly just a bunch of drivers I have not looked at before)

you had 3 windows core files that were modified. some old drivers might do this or sometimes malware. new drivers are should not modify windows core files. (windows 7 days it was ok)

machine bios is old 2019
you should update if you can, since there have been so many security updates for the bios and cpu. also some low level interfaces have changed and will not quite work correctly with the new updated windows files.

you might consider google how to make windows delete the pagefile.sys on system shutdown. you can make the registry changes and reboot more often if you can not figure out this problem. deletion of the pagefile will dump any corruptions and force windows to reload the files from your disk.
(dism.exe command should have fixed all the files on disk but not the copy saved to the pagefile.sys)

Reactions: builder_studio
Apr 3, 2023
I looked at one dump, got a error on the rest.
the file violates our terms of service and the download was blocked.

the first bugcheck was a watchdog time out.
it was in the video driver. it took too long.
I would do the following:
- delete your system pagefile.sys by turning off virtual memory reboot and turn it back on.

-you need to update your real tek sound driver for your motherboard to a version that was created in 2020 or newer. the one from 2019 responds to other sound sources (like your gpu sound driver) and overflows their buffer and causes the other driver to crash.

you also have some very old software on your system. (unrelated to the bugcheck) cbdisk.sys from 2010
CBDisk.sys Windows process - What is it? (file.net)
LogMeIn Pro by LogMeIn. from 2017 looks like it is installed. (i would remove it if you do not actively use it)
some others installed as well (but mostly just a bunch of drivers I have not looked at before)

you had 3 windows core files that were modified. some old drivers might do this or sometimes malware. new drivers are should not modify windows core files. (windows 7 days it was ok)

machine bios is old 2019
you should update if you can, since there have been so many security updates for the bios and cpu. also some low level interfaces have changed and will not quite work correctly with the new updated windows files.

you might consider google how to make windows delete the pagefile.sys on system shutdown. you can make the registry changes and reboot more often if you can not figure out this problem. deletion of the pagefile will dump any corruptions and force windows to reload the files from your disk.
(dism.exe command should have fixed all the files on disk but not the copy saved to the pagefile.sys)
Thank you for your insight, I will try all of these. One thing I'm hesitant to do is update the BIOS. I read somewhere that if power stops during the update it can damage your motherboard. Since I've been getting a lot of random crashes, I'm a bit afraid to do this. Is there any risk according to you that the computer could also crash while the BIOS is updating?

Thank you for your insight, I will try all of these. One thing I'm hesitant to do is update the BIOS. I read somewhere that if power stops during the update it can damage your motherboard. Since I've been getting a lot of random crashes, I'm a bit afraid to do this. Is there any risk according to you that the computer could also crash while the BIOS is updating?
newer motherboard (last 15 years) do not tend to have bios update problems.
With asus, after a bios update or reset the bios to default you would want to turn off the bios asus armory crate or it will start automatically overclocking for you and cause issues.

bios updates are almost required since hackers have released tools that hack the cpu security cores. fix is only in the bios update.

even asus armory crate will load files on your hard drive from your bios. Just like some of the new viruses.

I guess I should also note: on the bugcheck I looked at you had several sound devices installed on the machine.
the realtek version was a issue but the bugcheck was due to all the devices taking two long collectively. even though each one seemed to be running without a error.

usb sound devices depend on the usb driver which depend on the bios version for fixes. Ie you usb audio could be part of the issue and might be fixed with a bios update.
gpu gets the blame since it runs the most often. but the real cause could be another device. hopefully, it is just the old realtek motherboard sound driver causing the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: builder_studio
Apr 3, 2023
Please list the make/model for all installed components. This sounds like a typical heat and/or power issue.
I'm having no problems since installing a new PSU. I also tried everything that @johnbl suggested. While I was replacing it I also updated the BIOS so that might have been the problem too. Thank you both for your help.