Trying to fix my friend's PC

AZTPig

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
Ok, so, very long story here. My friend knows nothing about PCs, bought one from a large online store that makes gaming PCs. His watercooling leaked outside of warranty and he took it to best buy to have it fixed. Best buy pulled the watercooler out without looking at it, and leaked it all over the mobo. They replaced his mobo and gave him a new watercooler as a "sorry we were bad", but then they wouldn't actually fix his PC so he asked me to do it.

Yes yes. Why didn't he just have you build him one in the first place? I don't know.

So I put this thing back together, new board, new RAM, old CPU, new cooler, old card, old PSU, old hard drive, old CD drive. It fired up just fine, stayed on just fine, but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to output a video signal. Started running through the regular list to see what the problem was. Step one, I pulled on stick of RAM. Boot the PC, it now power cycles on and immediately off, over and over. Pulled the other stick, same thing. Put both back in, still power cycling. I took the whole thing apart, put it back together, still power cycling. And not just "on.. pause... pause... off." It powers on for about half a second, powers off for about 3-4 seconds, then back on for half a second. This will continue forever if I don't pull the plug.

I'm assuming this is a bad PSU, but just wondering if anyone else has input or thoughts.

Thanks!

Do you have a computer? If so test each component possible, not the new stuff obviously, in your computer. Start with the power supply, CPU, then videocard. That gets the 3 big ones out of the way. Test each one individually. If that's not possible with the CPU then leave that out.

It sounds like the assumption was that the motherboard was what was ruined. You can't know that without testing everything.

AZTPig

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

I do have a computer. Can putting damaged components into a working PC damage it?

Update:
Interesting. I put both Ram chips into my current PC and got an 04 error code, which seems to be related to the ram sucking.

TRENDING THREADS