Question Trying to fresh install windows on a new SSD but my system doesn't recognize it under my computer.

xXStrongarm

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Hello Tom's Hardware!

My question spans several possible threads so if you think it fits better somewhere else please let me know!

To my issue then, I recently purchased an AMD R5 2600, ASUS TUF B450 gaming mobo, 2 stick of Corsair LPX DDR4 3000 RAM, and a WD 500gb SSD to upgrade my system.

I wanted to do a fresh install of windows 10 on my new SSD and wipe my old HDD and use it for storage. However, I am running into a few problems. First, since the R5 2600 doesn't have integrated graphics, I cant use the HDMI slot on the mobo during the boot process on a drive that doesn't have drivers for my graphics card yet. I have never done a fresh install any other way, but is it possible to boot to another drive from the bios even if it has not been formatted yet?

My second issue is that, when I boot to my old HDD with windows still on it, my SSD is not recognized under "My Computer." However, I do see it in disk management. It is labelled as disk 1 and it says there are 465 gb unallocated. But, when I right click the drive I do not get an option to initialize it.

So, two questions--how do I boot to a new drive without using integrated graphics (is it as simple as booting through my old HDD and then navigating the bios from there to format a new SSD)?

and

Do you all have any advice for getting my system to recognize my new SSD?

p.s.
I have pasted an image below of what it looks like for me in disk management.

wZrBKN5.png

Edited for typos

Last edited:
So, two questions, how do I boot to a a new drive without using integrated graphics (is it as simple as booting through my old HDD and then navigating the bios from there to format a new HDD)?
You have to use your graphics card, since your CPU doesn't have integrated GPU. You install graphics drivers after windows has been installed. Without hardware specific graphics drivers your gpu will operate in compatibility mode.

Do you all have any advice for getting my system to recognize my new SSD?
Disconnect HDD, have only SSD connected and install fresh windows. Since only SSD is connected, install process will create all necessary partitions and format them automatically. You won't need to do anything manually with your SSD.

xXStrongarm

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
You have to use your graphics card, since your CPU doesn't have integrated GPU. You install graphics drivers after windows has been installed. Without hardware specific graphics drivers your gpu will operate in compatibility mode.

Disconnect HDD, have only SSD connected and install fresh windows. Since only SSD is connected, install process will create all necessary partitions and format them automatically. You won't need to do anything manually with your SSD.

This is the route I tried initially, but I got no display (including no bios) when my SSD is the only drive connected. Though, I will try this route again to make sure!