Trying to further my computer knowledge

babqyou

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Can anyone help me find a website or a book or something that will help me further my knowledge about computer. I already know more about computers than the average person and i spend over 6 to 7 hours on the computer weekday (due to school) and i could spend all day on a weekend. I can tell whether or not a processor is good by looking at the processor number. I can also tell whether or not a graphics card is good as well.

Solution
you will not learn everything overnigh as it can take many years to accumulate knowledge. the more experience you get the faster you will learn.

i myself diagnose hardware and software problems on 7 pcs in my local area. i have ran into many problems including hdd failures, ram failures, virus & trojan infections, windows bugs, driver issues as well as quite a number of other factors. compound onto that the issues that i solve here on this website. i may not be familiar with all problems however i try to work my way through them as they occur. i translate this real world knowledge to this website and even for unfamiliar problems or symptoms i often have at least an idea of the cause.

i have been gaming for 14 years. while this may...

babqyou

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I'm not surprised that's where I got all my computer knowledge from before

Yeah well there is much more to read. For example the initial reviews of chipsets and specific graphics cards will teach you a lot about architectures and if you do not understand a term used in the article, Wiki it and you will soon find out.

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Another good way is opening up the pc and seeing if you can recognise all the parts and sockets/ ports you can see, if not then look them up and dive down the tech trees.

babqyou

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Yea i took apart my computer many times to upgrade the memory card and other things i know what all the parts, sockets, and ports are

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Then you dive down the trees. I know that part... It's a GPU... It has specifications lists... I wonder what each Spec does... *internet away for 3 days* Oh I see :p

endeavour37a

Honorable
Just start reading some hardware reviews, like here at Tom's. When you find something you do not know about or understand then search on it to find out what it is. After a while you will have a good understanding of what everything does, it's history and what is good and not so good and also what it coming that will replace it.

Like something simple such as the USB, one search will tell you the data rates of the old 1.1, the current 2.0 / 3.0 and the 3.5 that is coming Q3 of this year to approach thunderbolt speed.

a little bit of this....a little bit of that really. dont expect to become an expert overnight.

in general having the mindset to not give up and to work at something until you find a solution is the best one to have. you will learn far more with this mindset alone then any amount of reading alone.

this is how i picked up most of my knowledge. here are a few suggestions...

-read news articles to keep up on current technology
-read forum posts on problems and look at the solutions
-read gpu/cpu/ssd charts for performance numbers
-read guides on various tips and tricks
-read professional and customer product reviews

-do build your own computers
-do ask advice from others and research anything you arent sure about
-do read beginners guides (i have a nice monitor one stickied in perepherals its a WIP)
-do diagnose and fix your own computer problems
-do be a power user
-do expore all facets of pc (hardware, software, gaming, programing, other os, design, web)

-dont ever give up on a problem. there is always a solution.
-dont rely on others all of the time for a solution. seek advice yes but doublecheck everything they say by researching.
-dont take advice or try to solve a problem without researching the effects

babqyou

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I already do just about everything on your list but do you know of any websites that specializes news articles about the current technology.

endeavour37a

Honorable

You have to be kidding, do you think doing what ssddx said is going to tell you about old stuff? His advice is as good as it gets, if you are doing all that already then I am lost about what sort of knowledge you are looking for.

songorocosongo

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

+1 You should get a degree in Computer Science if you want more

you will not learn everything overnigh as it can take many years to accumulate knowledge. the more experience you get the faster you will learn.

i myself diagnose hardware and software problems on 7 pcs in my local area. i have ran into many problems including hdd failures, ram failures, virus & trojan infections, windows bugs, driver issues as well as quite a number of other factors. compound onto that the issues that i solve here on this website. i may not be familiar with all problems however i try to work my way through them as they occur. i translate this real world knowledge to this website and even for unfamiliar problems or symptoms i often have at least an idea of the cause.

i have been gaming for 14 years. while this may not sound very useful realize that this is a very good way to learn firsthand about display technology. you learn about ghosting, vsync, tearing, bit depth and response time firsthand. there is also some networking and software diagnosing as well when games do not work. from using a keyboard and mouse you can learn the difference between laser, led and ball firsthand as well as the difference between mechanical and non-mechanical keyboards depending on what you use. while not a direct source of knowledge there is alot you can gain from any hobby which relates to computers in some way.

i have an android phone which i rooted and rommed. i started out fresh without much knowledge on the matter however now its not much of an issue and i can give advice firsthand. i know what works and what does not work. i know the safe ways to accomplish things and i know the wrong ways. i have experienced a phone crash and semi-brickup and recovered from it due to the things i learned. i did all of this by reading quite a bit on this (google the topics) and from my own firsthand experiences.

i have built 4 computers so far from parts. doing this many makes it apparent what works and what does not. i also suggest parts on here to use. i do my research into various different technologies when i do. this comes from either working firsthand with the products or brands, various specifications from the manufacturer, professional reviews, user reviews or searching for problems with that certain technology. there are also cases where from my experiences helping on here i have seen various comments stating particular problems which i then remember for the future.

how did i get good enough to co-write a sticky on monitors at the top of perepherals? (you should all check it out). well to be honest i knew quite a bit however while looking up the various technologies i learned alot. i came away with 3x the knowledge i had before. there is no one person which knows everything as that is impossible. what is more important is knowing where to look for the information and what sources you can trust. i went through and read in depth on each technology which was very informative. i have always known the basics of how everything worked however the devil is in the details.

msnbc, tomshardware, anantech and some other tech websites all have some nice good articles on technology.

where else would i have learned that there is a product which can actually make a small mass of metal invisible to the naked eye by bending light streams around a space.

i also learned from other sources such as watching space documentaries even. this is how i discovered quantum computers which use quantum entanglement. an odd source to learn about computing technologies!

in general the more you do in life which has to deal with technology the more knowledgeable you will be. you will learn double or triple the amount if you are directly involved with solving problems or diagnosing issues but in very select fields.

what i mentioned isnt all of my sources however there are just too many to list. honestly this is why i said "a little here a little there" in my first post. there is no one way to get "good"

Solution