[SOLVED] Trying to get a third monitor on a HP All in One Touch

bruce9432

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2016
Brand new Oct 1, have an HDMI monitor and now wanting to add a VGA Dell monitor. There are two SS usb ports. Tried the usb3 to vga converter, (it works on a Lenovo lp), and there is no detection by the HP.

Is there anything I can purchase that will allow the VGA monitor, (24 pin and square USB inputs also.) Used for black and white spread sheet work.

HP tech recommends docking station, at $169.

Solution
Vga is analog. Usb is digital. They don't mix. You'd need an active adapter, like what the dock uses, to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. Passive adapters don't work for anything except dvi-i (not dvi-d or dvi-dual) to vga or vice-versa. On top of that is different digital signal formats. DP is a different format to hdmi and dvi-dual, so not only requires an active adapter, but also one that can reformat the different signals, and they are uni-directional. A hdmi to dvi converter will only convert hdmi to dvi, it will not work plugging it in backwards to convert dvi to hdmi etc.

And then there's quality. Many adapters will claim the ability to convert to a specific resolution and frequency, but can often fail miserably in...

bruce9432

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2016
monitor Dell model Dell P2212H, pc HP ALL IN ONE 24, AMD RYZEN 3 43000U with Radeon Graphics 2.70 ghz, 64 bit Desktop-BMNBQLJ. Other monitor is a Sceptre, e205w. Adapter that doesn't work BENFEI USB 3.0 to VGA

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vga is analog. Usb is digital. They don't mix. You'd need an active adapter, like what the dock uses, to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. Passive adapters don't work for anything except dvi-i (not dvi-d or dvi-dual) to vga or vice-versa. On top of that is different digital signal formats. DP is a different format to hdmi and dvi-dual, so not only requires an active adapter, but also one that can reformat the different signals, and they are uni-directional. A hdmi to dvi converter will only convert hdmi to dvi, it will not work plugging it in backwards to convert dvi to hdmi etc.

And then there's quality. Many adapters will claim the ability to convert to a specific resolution and frequency, but can often fail miserably in those claims. 1080p@60Hz shouldn't be that much of a problem, but cheapness often makes it so.

On top of that is the ability of the gpu/igpu to output enough to cover the resolutions required, dual monitors often isn't an issue, but 3x might be. It might not be a failure of the adapter, but a failure of the source to be able to power 3x monitors at 1080p or better.

The Vega5 graphics supports 3x monitors upto 7620x4380 @ 60Hz. Your Scepter set for 75Hz might be messing with that.

Last edited:
Solution

bruce9432

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2016
THE VGA Dell monitor works with the Benfei USB3 to VGA converter via a blue colored USB port on a Lenovo laptop, perfect. Plug this into the SS usb port on the HP All in One 24 Touch and nothing, zilch, nada. Why? What is the HP lacking? Or is it impossible to do it? The setup works, the HP doesn't.

bruce9432

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2016
It's HP, my HP envy 360 is zilch too. Yet the Lenovo and Acer laptops have no problem. HP tech says a $170 Thunderstick docking will solve the problem. Boxing it up and back Costco. The HP forum is lousy with this issue and I'm buying out of it. Say hello to the Dell. Thanks