Question Trying to get Corsair Platinum 3200 MHZ RGB pro to run at 3200 mhz

308longrange

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Hello! So I recently purchased the RAM mentioned in the title. And I cannot seem to figure out the settings to get it to post properly. Firstly, my build

i7 8700k with Kraken AIO cooler.
Asus Rog Maximus X Hero Wifi-AC
GTX 1080

I installed the RAM, it posted but at the standard 2133 mhz speed. I went into bios and turned on XMP mode and selected the only profile available. And it didn't post. Does anyone know what values I might have to enter for overclocking? I know that I might need to overclock my cpu to get it setup. I don't normally do any overclocking and all other settings are the defaults. Any ideas? I mean I kinda would just like the specific settings if someone has a similar setup? I am using the proper slots and everything. I just am not sure the exact OC settings to get the ram working on this mobo/cpu.

EDIT: I have the most recent version of BIOS available.

308longrange

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Which Corsair RAM do you exactly have? Dominator Platinum RGB or Vengeance RGB Pro?

In any event, RAM timings at 3200 Mhz should be 16-18-18-36 at 1.35V for both RAM sets. So, try entering those values manually to get your RAM working. If you still can't get it working, try tighten the timings (e.g 15-17-17-36 at 1.35V) or loosening timings (17-19-19-40 at 1.35V).

I have the dominator Platinum RGB, and what is weird is that I can get the RAM up to 2666 Mhz at timings of 16-18-18-36. But it won't get to 3200Mhz. Any update for that information?

308longrange

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
What voltages are you running? 1.2V (stock) or 1.35V (needed for OC)? Also, any luck with tightening and/or loosening timings?

RN I am at 2700 Mhz with the RAM at 16-18-18-36 timings. That is at 1.35 V and my other CPU voltages are at: VCORE 1.26V, VCCSA and VCCIO are each at 1.20 V. Otherwise I have not changed any other settings. I am fairly newish to overclocking, I don't normally do it.

EDIT: Perhaps SOC needs to be changed?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
"SOC"? Your MoBo manual doesn't contain any words of:"SOC".

The voltage i was talking about is the DRAM voltage and not the CPU Vcore voltage. CPU Vcore voltage comes into play when you OC the CPU itself.

According to your MoBo manual (page 3-14, 3-15), you need to increase CPU BCLK to enable higher DRAM frequency. Though, don't go crazy with BCLK value since if you set it too high, you can damage your CPU permanently.

Sadly, i don't have in-depth knowledge about CPU/GPU/RAM OC. I know something but not enough for step-by-step guide. There are other people here who are experts in overclocking while my expertise lies in PC hardware.

Is your RAM seated in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 slots (MoBo manual, page 1-5)? If not, reseat your RAM into correct slots. If it is, try seating your RAM into DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 slots and look if you can get XMP working in those slots.

If that doesn't help either then it is possible that the issue is with your MoBo. Some Google-Fu and i found other people who have the very same issue with that specific MoBo where they can't get their RAM running at XMP rated speeds 3200/3600 Mhz,
topic 01: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...with-asus-rog-maximus-x-hero-wifi-ac.3415938/
topic 02: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-WiFi-G-Skill-3200-2x8GB-not-clocking-to-3200

It's known that some MoBos can have hard time with OC while with other MoBos, OC is better supported.