Trying to get good internet in my room

TurtleKicks

Reputable
Apr 3, 2017
Currently I live in my grandmother's house and the router and modem is downstairs. I'm currently using a powerline kit but that's not using or getting the most out of my internet. My internet speed is 5MBps but I only get 1MBps upstairs using the powerline kit. And when I download stuff on my computer (getting internet via the powerline kit), my speed would be ~0.6MBps - 1MBps. My wireless internet can get up to 3MBps whereas when I hook my computer downstairs (directly to the router) I can get up to 5MBps but upstairs using the powerline kit I get a max of 1MBps. I'm thinking of running an ethernet cable from downstairs to my room which is upstairs by running an ethernet cable up the wall, how do I do this and what are you guys' recommendations on doing so?

Solution
easiest and least permanent way is to get a cable with thick insulation and go in a downstairs window and out the upstairs window. Secure to the house/window frame as needed with these or something similar, example only not an endorsement
https://www.amazon.com/QualGear-CC1-W-100-P-White-Cable-Clips/dp/B00DFZRH12?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DFZRH12
ethernet has a cable length limit of 328Ft or 100Meters which should give enough slack to run the cable in an inconspicuous way

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
easiest and least permanent way is to get a cable with thick insulation and go in a downstairs window and out the upstairs window. Secure to the house/window frame as needed with these or something similar, example only not an endorsement
https://www.amazon.com/QualGear-CC1-W-100-P-White-Cable-Clips/dp/B00DFZRH12?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DFZRH12
ethernet has a cable length limit of 328Ft or 100Meters which should give enough slack to run the cable in an inconspicuous way

Solution

TurtleKicks

Reputable
Apr 3, 2017

so I can't run it up a wall? Also does the ethernet cable connector (the thing that looks like a box) decrease the speed?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

IDK the layout of your home so giving a step by step would be useless the above is the simplest solution that should work on any two story house. if you do not mind running the lines- will require fiberglass glow sticks to run fresh wire through the walls and enough cat 6 or 5 to do the job, drilling and filling holes - drill bits 4-6 ft long and putty, punching down wall sockets - spring loaded punch tool, and something to cut the insulation.
the wall jack should not slow anything down dramatically but every segment along the line will introduce resistance.
if you need to make patch cables you will need cable ends and a crimper tool.

if you can place a wire between the nodes (router and PC) it really does not matter where the wire goes. through the wall, out a windows, over the roof, under the eaves, under the carpet, the wire does not care, it is just a conductor. the shortest run you can would be my suggestion.

Thar be dragons ahead..
if the walls already have cat 5 in them you can use the existing cables and run ethernet along the same cable. recent homes use cat 5 for the phone distribution system and so the 4 wires for the phone will leave 4 wires for the ethernet. oranges and greens are the wires ethernet uses. what ever wires are unused assign it an ethernet color and connect as it were that color. if you have brown and blue wires left make them the active ethernet wires they are the new oranges and greens. orange and orange white, green and green white. properly connected a single cat 5 cable can carry 2 ethernet signals or a phone and ethernet. you are essentially using the backup phone lines for the network. this will only work if the cables in the walls are shielded twisted pair cat 5 or 6 cables. you will need a dual wall plate and proper jacks for it. regular phone lines will allow too much cross-talk and interference. any more questions you have I'm following the thread.