Trying to get into PC networking and I'm starting from scratch. I need some solid advice.

nelsne

Prominent
Mar 9, 2018
MY GOAL IS TO BECOME A COMPUTER NETWORKER.

My plan is to do this through IT certifications. The plan is to basically teach myself IT and learn from udemy courses then go to a Pearson testing center and test out for the certifications. I've actually done a bit of research on this, but I'm getting a lot of differing views:

-Most agree that all roads begin with obtaining your CompTIA A+. This IT certification seems to be just the absolute beginning of the road for anyone that wants to do anything IT.

-The next steps I get a lot of differing viewpoints on.....

Some say to get the A+ and then get a helpdesk job because all roads begin with the lousy $10 an hour paying help desk. Others say that now even the help desk entry level jobs are becoming so hard to come by that I need to get my 3 basic (A+, Net+, Security+ certs). Finally, others, are telling me to get the A+, get a help desk job and immediatly go for the CCNA after that.

What's your advice to break into computer networking?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Describe your network at home. Be as detailed as you can. Describe why you made the choices you did.

2. You're not going to automagically jump into a $40/hour job with just an A+. Period.
Everyone starts at the bottom.
And don't put too much stock in just the A+. I could probably talk my 13 year old grandson through passing that.

3. Where are you in your schooling? College yet?

4. What other networking have you done? Any outside projects...maybe volunteering at a non-profit?

nelsne

Prominent
Mar 9, 2018

1) I can tell you that I'm using a LAN network. I really don't know a whole lot about how to do computer networking. I have a pretty solid idea when it comes to what the career is though. I like idea of getting a career in Networking because the job seems to be highly in demand, and can't be easily outsourced. For instance computer programming seems like it is getting more outsourced everyday and more and more jobs are going to India and China.

2) Yes, yes I know that I can't put too much stock in the A+. The course materials that I am reading through tell me that it takes the average person (between the 901 and 902) about 240 hours of study to pass the tests to get the certification. All the A+ will likely get me is an entry level help desk job (which pays about $10 an hour from what I hear).

3) I have an A.A. and I'm 18 credits from a Bachelor's in Public Safety Management from a regionally accredited college. This next semester was going to be my last semester and unfortunately the college said that I had one more semester worth of loans and Pell Grant left (this spring semester we are currently in). However, the college miscalculated the loans (and it's also my fault for not double checking) but I'm now maxed out and can't receive any more Pell grant or student loans unless I finish my Bachelor's on my own merit. I've calculated the cost and it's going to cost about 2k out of pocket to finish that degree. I just wonder how much that degree would help me in finding an IT job?

4) I've done zero networking. However, I do have about 8 years of customer service experience, am a former car salesman, was promoted to sales manager at a private LLC sports memorabilia company, and I'm currently a security officer. Also, in Chicago, I used to have a security job working for a VERY wealthy condominium complex and was literally working with the elite rich. Even two A-list celebrities have a home there. That job was on paper listed as a security job, I was basically an administrative assistant who also did security on the side.