Question Trying to get more speed in my home network with different ideas

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
I am currently running a Netgear CM1150V modem with a Specturm Plan of 200 Mbps . My wifi router is a Google Nest Wifi Router - AC2200 Smart Mesh Wi-Fi Router 4-pack. I work in a room on the far end of the house away from the router and I have a wifi point near me. the PC at the router plugged in with Ethernet gets 200 Mbps. My work computer at the far end of the house gets about 80 Mbps from wifi.
Ideas and Questions:
  1. I have an older Netgear Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 Model RAX35 I used before and was wondering if I can use that with the Google Nest, or is that not compatibile? Could that router be used as some sort of extender in the room far away from the Google router?
  2. Could I maybe do MOCA extenders and run some of my cable (coax) to that room for a faster connection? I believe I would need the MOCA adaptor for MOCA to work with the Netgear CM1150V router. I don't wanna do powerline adaptors because I have old aluminum wiring and scared about fires.
  3. Should I just increase the 200 Mbps Plan to maybe the 400 Mbps Plan, or would that not even increase my wifi in the far off work room?

Any ideas, guidance, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
The only "magic" is a wire.

Preferably, ethernet, Cat5e.
After that, powerline or MOCA.

WiFi is only to be used if there is no possibility of an actual cable.

I guess maybe MOCA. I wish Google Nest had more than one ethernet connection... sometimes when my son is not on his computer I unplug his direct ethernet into the Nest and run a 50ft Cat5 to my work room.
I would have to buy the 2 pack MOCA, right? One at the beginning with the coax before the router, right? and the other one in the far work room from coax?

Yes, you'll need to buy a pair of Moca adapters and a 5-17000mhz+ splitter for the modem side and another if you have a cable box in your work room. You will also need to buy a POE(point of entry) filter to install on the main splitter after the wire entires your house, or outside your house where it enters.

MOCA will give you full speeds. Powerline may or may not give your the full 200mpbs.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Is leaving the 50ft cable permanent a option. You could buy a small switch to allow both device to be plugged into the router at the same time. It would be cheaper than the moca units.

Moca units especially the newer ones that have 2.5 in their name work very well.
What kind of switch? something simple like this? TP-Link
How much would the switch bring down the internet speed for both items connected?

That switch is very popular.

The switch will not have any direct affect on the internet. The switch can run every port at 1gbit up and 1gbit down all at the same time. The switch itself will not slow the internet down.

Now the end devices are sharing your total internet bandwidth. There is no fixed split amount, both will try to get as much as they need and it is hard to predict how it will be split. This really is no different than having both device plugged into your router. It is going to depends on how large a internet connection you have. If it is fairly large then it is unlikely the 2 devices will cause issues issues for each other.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer