Trying to get my RAM to clock speed.

patrityBit

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hi All,

First off, my specs:

MObo: P8Z77-V Deluxe
CPU : i7 3770k
RAM : 16 GB Corsair Vengence CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R (2 kits of 2x4)
GPU : EVGA GTX 680 (x2)
PSU : Corsair 850AX

I have a question about running my RAM to speed. Note that I have already exchanged the mobo and see the

same instability.

When I boot underspeed (1333) and stock CPU things are good. I ran memtest86+ [3 passes] and prime95 [8

hours and running right now] and everything is going well.

I updated the mobo BIOS to XMP for the RAM which clocks at 1866. I get major system instability.

memtest spits out some errors and I have BSOD and froze while running prime95.

Memtests that I have run:

RAM as single DIMM : 3 passed and one failed
RAM as a kit in channel (kit one) : Failed to boot, flipped RAM postions and it booted and passed

memtest.
RAM as a kit in channel (kit two) : Passed test, prime95 failed. Went back to memtest and then that

failed.

Right now I have a new 4x4 single kit set of RAM being delivered tomorrow in the case that this is my

RAM. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) (1866) F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL. My concern is that this could

also be my CPU somehow?

Other than replacing my RAM tomorrow, I am unsure as to what is happening and where to go from here if

the new RAM also has the same issues with trying to get clocked to speed.

Thank you for the help!

Solution
i am not good myself. but why don i give it a try.
because u got a pretty nice combination n it looks fine. n Corsair RAM rarely got a problem.

bfr u replace your RAM, why dont u try to consider the simplest thing? such as :
■- power supply. whether all of the power cable is properly plugin.
■- 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector properly connected? because your system might lack of a additional power supply for OCing.

whether your RAM is compatible or not :
■- in activating XMP, compatible Corsair RAM for your Ivy processor is 4 x ?GB DIMM (example: CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R), n your red 2 x 2 x 4GB RAM is not in the compatible list, n sorry to say, but i'm afraid your another RAM on delivery also not in the compatible list...

aminroy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
i am not good myself. but why don i give it a try.
because u got a pretty nice combination n it looks fine. n Corsair RAM rarely got a problem.

bfr u replace your RAM, why dont u try to consider the simplest thing? such as :
■- power supply. whether all of the power cable is properly plugin.
■- 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector properly connected? because your system might lack of a additional power supply for OCing.

whether your RAM is compatible or not :
■- in activating XMP, compatible Corsair RAM for your Ivy processor is 4 x ?GB DIMM (example: CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R), n your red 2 x 2 x 4GB RAM is not in the compatible list, n sorry to say, but i'm afraid your another RAM on delivery also not in the compatible list from intel.
i7XMP.png

Reference : intel.com i7 XMP

other than that, i think your Z77 chipset MOBO is just fine for XMP.

hope gave u some clues. sorry if not helping at all. night.

Solution
I will agree with aminroy, I even checked GSkill's memory page to see if your mobo was there - QML there lists no Z77 mobos
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=379
could find no QML for the Corsair
http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/dual-channel-intel-memory-upgrade-kits/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1866c9r.html
although it does claim at the bottom "Designed for use with all DDR3 motherboards with two memory channels" and to that end it does work... although not at spec speed/timings.

The Intel Ivybridge processors are only tested and guaranteed to work at speeds up to 1600Mhz at JEDEC standard voltages and timings. DRAM modules that operate above the tested frequency, at voltages outside of JEDEC specification or at timings outside of the JEDEC specification are not guaranteed to work.

aminroy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
From link provided by C12Friedman, your G.SKILL Ripjaws-X-Series-F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL support ASUS P8Z68-V DELUXE, P8Z68-V PRO and P8Z68-V for Z68 chipset. but i think it is just they not yet updated the info for Z77 platform.

I think your G.SKILL might work well on XMP with your Z77 MOBO.

Excerpt from your mobo's QVL - shows the GSkill you have coming along with the footnotes
"P8Z77-V Motherboard Qualified Vendors Lists (QVL)
DDR3 1866(O.C.) MHz capability
1 DIMM 2 DIMM 4 DIMM

G.SKILL F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - 9-10-9-28 1.5 ● ● ●

4 DIMM :
• 1 DIMM: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
We suggest that you install the module into A2 slot for better stability.
• 2 DIMM: Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
We suggest that you install the module into A2B2 slot for better stability.
• 4 DIMM: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration
-When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
-It is recommended to install the memory modules from the slots for better overclocking capability." (personal note: I have no clue what this means)
"-The default DIMM frequency depends on its Serial Presence Detect (SPD), which is the standard way of accessing information from a memory module. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may
operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value."
So, it does seem that the QML is a little behind. Here's hoping all goes well

patrityBit

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hi all! I just thought I would give you a heads up since you helped me so much! I installed the G.Skill Ripjaws X and when I POSTed, they came up as 1600.

That all worked well, I tested and it was great. I then bumped it through XMP to 1866 and that too worked! So now I am happy with my new rig so far.

Once again thank you for all the help!

aminroy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
yeah. as predicted. Good for you. n very lucky if you selected that RAM spec randomly. no way.

P/S: please pick my 2nd post as the bes answer. just collecting point for fun. TQ. ^^p