Trying to get past windows 2000 login prompt

Hi, I got an IBM Thinkpad 600e from a friend, and cannot
get past the windows 2000 login prompt. I have a Windows
ME CD - I would like to wipe this Win2000 clean and install
Windows ME fresh. Can anyone point me to a helpful source?

Thanks

GH

Use a DOS boot disk to boot, then format the partition to
remove win2K.

Ask them for the password. To wipe the drive, some ways include; boot a
win98/ME startup disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information found
(as long as NTFS is primary). Or boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks
and when you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
partitions found, then abort the install. Or use a utility named delpart.
Once removed you can boot the Win98/ME CD-Rom or restore CD-Rom to start
your install. Make sure you have win9x device drivers available before hand.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"WannaUseME" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I got an IBM Thinkpad 600e from a friend, and cannot
> get past the windows 2000 login prompt. I have a Windows
> ME CD - I would like to wipe this Win2000 clean and install
> Windows ME fresh. Can anyone point me to a helpful source?
>
> Thanks
>
> GH

The password would prove useless to you since the goal is to perform a clean
install. Boot with an ME startup diskette, fdisk and zap the NT
partition(s). Remember to reboot after you've recreated the appropriate
partition structure before attempting a format.