Trying to get rid of 1709, will restore point work?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Does restore point rollback to previous version of windows. 1709 got installed, I have a restore from the 9th and this update was not installed until the 16th. It's possible I was on 1709 already, but the update is called.

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709"

There is no option to remove this specific update, but I can remove every other one. Is it impossible to remove this if I was already on 1709? They keep giving features I don't want or need, just want to keep my perfectly running gaming system exactly as it is.

I wish my games ran on linux because every so often while windows is running great with 0 issues there comes an update that just ruins everything. It's messing many of my games up, getting inconsistent fps with lots of low frames, lots of stutter during launching web browser and new tabs, just a mess in general. It's definitely windows update, it updated on the 16th and nothing else changed. Directly after I ran into all these issues.

I was looking up instructions how to roll back before 1709 and I should because it's been less than 10 days, but I'm not seeing the options they are talking about.

This is what I keep seeing online, but does not exist for me.

"Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > under Go back to my previous version of Windows 10, click Get started. "

Solution
One thing that you might try, although it will require you to reinstall all of your programs and applications. Back everything up (do an image file backup if you think you might want to restore the system exactly the way you left it: control panel->System and Security->File History->System Image Backup [found at the bottom left of the window]->Create a System Image-> I use an 4GB external HDD to do this on).

Get the latest version of Win10 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and use it to install it to your computer. When asked, tell it you want the "custom" install, which will install it over everything on the drive.

When it's finished installing, go to settings->Update & Security->Windows...

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
there is no doubt the issues I am having are tied to this update. i am on this thing all the time and know exactly how it runs. you ever have your body off or something is wrong and you know know something is up because it's your body? i play the same few games regularly and have 0 issues. same gpu drivers, same settings, no adjustments to anything at all. I have seen several people complaining about similar issues actually. it's not a huge difference either, it's fairly small, but something is off and it's annoying. I would never have low frames in a game like atlas reactor with my specs. This is some low spec game and I can run all the latest games basically maxed out w/o issue. Since the update this game drops at times to 30 or so.

I open IE at least 15 times a day and it NEVER lags or hesitates, but now there is .3-.5 second delay that is very noticeable. Same delay on a new tab or if I click the search box by start menu. These things don't just randomly happen, plus windows has a history of this.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

it's not, i've already remove that update and still same issues. i have a restore point, just not sure if the restore point will return to i believe it was 1703? would prefer to not have to download the iso and all that time involved. windows is extremely annoying though. that update already started to download again. it did not update yet because of that "active time" setting. might have to run on wifi to avoid auto updates. if my games only ran on linux.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
go to settings->System->About At the bottom of that page it will give you a version number (1709) and an "OS Build" number (probably 16299.192). When you go back to a restore point, you go back to the OS build number at that point in time (which will be anywhere from 16299.15--the original Fall Creators Update--to the most recent build). It is unlikely you have "restores" that go back to 1703 (Creators Update).

I suspect that part of your problem is the insanely rapid fixes being sent out by Microsoft, AMD, Intel, and others (not to mention computer makers--Dell, HP, Asus, etc who are sending out AUTOMATIC BIOS UPDATES) to try to contain Spectre and Meltdown. I highly recommend you go to settings->Update & Security->Windows Update->Check for updates at least once a day to get the latest and best fixes.

I cannot recommend that you try to go back to some older version of Win10. I can promise you that you will regret it in the future.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

might have to just give this a shot for now. restore point keep failing during registry because of antivirus which I have already disabled (windows defender is only one). yeah maybe it's something from lenovo, just wish i could avoid everything i mean this is my own pc that i bought with my own $$$. if i want to be at a higher risk for security then so be it. i don't keep important information on here anyway, it's just for gaming and browsing. i just want my stuff to run the right way which is fast and perfect.

i downloaded a 1703 iso so i might give that a shot since i don't have much on here. already put backups of my games on my other drive. i know it's probably just going to update anyways, but i remember an update for months and then i guess it was this update finally went thru on the 16th. if i can fix the issue right now and revisit this in 3 months i can live with that, but it's hard enjoy games when they dip down like this at times.

at this point i kind of just want to know exactly where the issue is coming from because it's still there after removing the security updates which could only leave lenovo or the update on the 16th. it is a big coincidence it's been going on since the exact day i got this new features update.

USAFRet

Titan
MS pushes these monthly updates because of history.

Previous to Win 10, you could turn updates OFF completely.
Many people did, either on purpose or by accident. Resulting in millions of unpatched systems.
Resulting in a LOT of viruses and botnets.

People ragged on MS for this.

The WannaCry ransomware was almost completely in unpatched systems.

So MS said "Screw it". You get this whether you like it or not."
And again, people rag on MS for this.

Can't have it both ways.
If they give you, the clueful user, the ability to turn Updates OFF, they also give that to the clueless.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
One thing that you might try, although it will require you to reinstall all of your programs and applications. Back everything up (do an image file backup if you think you might want to restore the system exactly the way you left it: control panel->System and Security->File History->System Image Backup [found at the bottom left of the window]->Create a System Image-> I use an 4GB external HDD to do this on).

Get the latest version of Win10 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and use it to install it to your computer. When asked, tell it you want the "custom" install, which will install it over everything on the drive.

When it's finished installing, go to settings->Update & Security->Windows Update->Check for updates and get all the latest stuff. Do this before you install your discreet GPU driver!! When everything is up to date, install your discreet GPU driver. At this point if everything is working well, don't install any other drivers!! Win10 does a fantastic job of finding the best, latest drivers for almost everything but fancy GPUs.

One of the best ways to protect yourself from wayward updates is a weekly image file backup. Instead of fighting with the new stuff, you can literally return your computer to where it was working properly by restoring the image, then going from there in trying to figure out what went wrong. It's really cheap insurance.

Solution

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

I just installed 1703 build 15063 and wow it's running lightning fast and amazing like it use to. I am just concerned with right now and will revisit this in the near future once they figure things out a bit more. I need to do an image backup for sure, I think that would solve issues like this much quicker. I had files and games on my other drive, only took 20 minutes after windows was back up to get fully running with games again.

Right now I hope it does not start auto updating, there are no options to completely disable and I don't want to use wifi (disable metered downloads gets rid of them). Trying the same fix via registry edit and I guess i'll find out soon enough if it works.

So being that going to this version and build fixed my performance issue this can rule out any updates on Lenovo end right? If I had some bios update or something from them it would still be there? Now I am starting to wonder perhaps if it's just the new features they put into the last feature update. This was separate from the security fix which I already uninstalled to rule out. Unless the new feature update also had security updates as well all one messy bundle? Using an i5 4460, maybe the stuff they keep adding to just the normal windows 10 is simply requiring more and more power which cause the performance hit?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

That's actually pretty hilarious and sad at the same time.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Yes. I would say that it is almost certain that either a Microsoft/other update/upgrade/patch was the cause of your problem. Do that image guick, so when it happens again, you just do that restore thing. Oh, and don't lose that image!!!

Colif

Win 11 Master

You can't use system restore to go back to before 1709 as Version updates wipe system restore points. Only way to go back is use a backup or an older ISO.

The option to rollback to previous version only exists for 10 days now, after that windows.old is deleted.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

installed a few programs i use often and got an imagine. thanks for the help, everything seems good so far.