[SOLVED] Trying to go sub-ambient

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,
Would like to hook up a aquarium water chiller to my system. Is it feasible to disconnect the cooling likes of my present cooler and loop in the chiller? I know about the possible condensation possibility but would not drive it below the dew point of the present ambient temp. I was thinking about building a new PC but I really do not need the speed. Just a project I guess. It is sort of a hobby for me.
Anyway, Id like to see if I dropped the CPU temp to 55 or 60 C if I could get more than the current 4.4 Ghz out of my processor.

MOBO ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1
Memory Crucial 4x4 Battlestix 2400MHz
OS WIN 10
Boot Drive Samsung M.2 950 Pro 256GB
PS EVGA Supernova 750W
Storage Crucial M500 250GB
Crucial M550 1TB
Samsung EVO 850 500GB
Case Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
Cooling Corsair H105 240 AIO
Video GEFORCE GTX 750TI

Solution
Im presently pushing 80-85C when I overclock all the cores to 4.4Ghz. The ambient is 22C (I stand corrected for my mixed temperatures) The room is 22C. The spec on the chiller states it should cool 10+ degrees F "pulldown". This is an aquarium chiller so assuming the fish water is at ambient, 71F I would pull it down to 60F which is about 15C.
There's a major difference in cooling a static tank of water, and cooling an active heat source like a CPU.

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Im presently pushing 80-85C when I overclock all the cores to 4.4Ghz. The ambient is 22C (I stand corrected for my mixed temperatures) The room is 22C. The spec on the chiller states it should cool 10+ degrees F "pulldown". This is an aquarium chiller so assuming the fish water is at ambient, 71F I would pull it down to 60F which is about 15C.

USAFRet

Titan
There's a major difference in cooling a static tank of water, and cooling an active heat source like a CPU.

Solution

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Yes, I can see that point. I still think that it being such a small amount of water that running it full cold would bring the CPU temp down. Maybe not. Still the question remains. If I did get it down and kept it around 15-17C could I up the CPU clock? I guess I will just have to give it a try. I am just wondering if I am up against the wall with the CPU's capabilities.

USAFRet

Titan
One of the main difficulties with this type of project is in transferring that CPU thermal load into the fluid, no matter how cold that fluid is.
You only have about 1.5 sq in to work with.

And to be clear....you're talking about the fluid temp at "15-17C", not the actual CPU. Right?

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Well I would like to get the CPU temp as low as I can without creating condensation. The Chiller can be adjusted to 7C minimum. Thanks for your help. I will think about it and if I do it I will append to this string and let you know what my results are.