Question Trying to identify my graphic problems (Windows PC)

Nov 11, 2019
2 weeks ago my 5 years old PC started to act odd, here are the related specs:

Windows 10 64bit

Intel Core i7-4770K

Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER (MS-7818)

Nvidia Geforce Titan (First gen GTX)

It started with flickering on the screen when I play a game. It intensifyed and after a few moments the PC started to freeze so I had to reboot.

This behavior started shortly after the August Windows update and the nvidia 436.48 driver update.

It became so bad that my PC wouldn't boot anymore. It got to the point where I got a graphic glitch with the loading

dots in the windows bootscreen which lead to a reboot loop, which then lead to windows repair options coming up in loop everytime.

Only thing that helped was to unmount my Nvidia and switch to the 2 HDMI outputs of the MSI motherboard and the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600. Everything worked perfect from that point on so my summary was - the Geforce is end of life - I have to get a new graphics card.

This was until 3 days ago. It started with only 1 of my two screens showing a picture. Looking in the Windows screen settings only one screen was detected eventhough both were plugged in.

I swapped the two HDMIs and the active picture swapped too, so no screen problem. I tried a few things but nothing made the second screen go up again until several reboots after which the second screen suddently worked again.

This now repeats from time to time when I boot up the PC. The thing that worries me the most is that now I also get

blue lines on the screen when I put a window in fullscreen or move it between screens. I made a short video on how it looks:

View: https://youtu.be/6dKzj-NYcBI

So now I'm concerned that it is not my Geforce that is the problem here but the Mainboard or the CPU.
And before I buy a new graphicscard I would like to be a 100% sure that I'm not wasting my money.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Edit: When I swap both screens HDMI on the motherboard I don't get these flicker problems.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019
Go to device manager, down to graphics adapter, click on it open propteries, click on driver tab, see if it will allow you to roll back to prior driver. If not uninstall the device and drivers, and install the drivers that were working before the update.
I tried that when it was still possible. Like I wrote, with the Geforce Windows doesn't even start anymore.

Nov 11, 2019
So have you run sfc /scannow in windows powershell(admin)?
Like I wrote, with the Nvidia the system doesn't even boot anymore but with the Intel graphics everything worked out well except for this odd behaviour with the second screen that seems to be fixed with exchanging both outputs.
I'm not having a present problem right now I just try to figure out if my graphics card is the problem or any other hardware component.