[SOLVED] Trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto a new SSD, weird issue going on

Feb 11, 2019
Hello, so I'm having a bit of an issue.

Recently I ordered a new SSD and planned to get rid of my old HDD (which I did). So I got the SSD installed and the new HDD installed and everything on the physical side went great. Upon booting up my PC is when I ran into the problem I'm facing.

Whenever the PC starts, NONE of my keyboard turn on to get into BIOS and I'm greeted with the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key". I have the W10 installation on a USB stick, so I'm pretty sure all I have to do is get into BIOS but I physically cannot since none of my keyboards are working.

I've tried resetting the BIOS by taking the battery out and I've even tried every keyboard I could find in my house, as I've stated previously. I even tried every USB slot on the computer with each keyboard. I just don't know what to do at this point. How can I do anything if I can't get into my BIOS? If it helps the mobo I'm using is the Aorus x470 Gaming 5 mobo.

Solution
I'm not sure why none of your keyboards are registering but as for the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device..." error, try this.
Ensure that neither of your drives are plugged into the SATA port you were using previously (when the system last booted fine). You may have to randomly swap between different SATA ports and controllers on the motherboard.

Ordinarily, you could get around this by opening BIOS and manually selecting the desired boot device (in your case the USB stick so you can install Windows). The problem you're describing would seem to indicate that the current BIOS settings are attempting to boot from the SSD prior to the USB stick.
In your case, it seems that, since there is no OS installed on that drive, BIOS is hanging...

poisonite101

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
I'm not sure why none of your keyboards are registering but as for the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device..." error, try this.
Ensure that neither of your drives are plugged into the SATA port you were using previously (when the system last booted fine). You may have to randomly swap between different SATA ports and controllers on the motherboard.

Ordinarily, you could get around this by opening BIOS and manually selecting the desired boot device (in your case the USB stick so you can install Windows). The problem you're describing would seem to indicate that the current BIOS settings are attempting to boot from the SSD prior to the USB stick.
In your case, it seems that, since there is no OS installed on that drive, BIOS is hanging instead of forwarding boot priority to the next device. If you change SATA port(s) that the drive(s) are on then you may find a combination where USB takes priority over the SSD and HDD.

This isn't really a fix so much as its a potential way to circumvent your problem. The best answer would be to figure out why you can't get a keyboard to work and enter into BIOS.

Solution
You might also reinstall the old drive, see if it will boot and respond normally. If it will, connect the SSD as a secondary drive. If that is successful, reboot again, this time from your Windows USB installer, then install Windows onto your USB drive. Once it finishes, disconnect the old drive again and see if all is well.