Trying to install my old graphics card

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Hi Guys I was wondering if you can help me, I recently purchased a new PC from littlewoods here is my specs

Operating System
Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit
CPU
Intel Celeron 1037U @ 1.80GHz 49 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
NM70-M (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1360x768@60Hz)
TFT MON 15 (1024x768@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Elitegroup)
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0 (SATA) 40 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS122 E
Audio
VIA HD Audio(Win8.1)

I have a Radeon 5450 graphics card from my Old PC which was on vista and worked perfectly, But everytime I try inserting it into the new pc you can hear the PC load up but the monitor stays black, I have updated my drivers, tried disabling the intergrated graphics but so far nothing.

I play an MMO and whilst I now that the 5450 isnt brilliant it does the trick for now till i can buy a more upto date one

Any help you can give would be appricated

S Prince

3hunna

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Your motherboard is an ECS mobo which isn't a great brand but it does have a PCI-E slot so the graphic card should work & celerons are Intel's processors that fail in testing but still work a lot slower than they should Intel renames them as celeron & sells them as their budget processors they're not worth buying

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Unfortunately i didnt get to chose the motherboard lol and i looked at the windows compatibility site and my card should work, the PC runs great using the intergrated Intel HD graphics but as soon as I put in the card the monitor screens stay black.

Ah ok thank u tea urchin will take a look now and see what i can afford on my budget

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I looked in the Bios couldnt see option to enable PCi-E slot and its completely different to the bios i had for vista lol so didnt want to touch anything. I think its a UEFI bios now as I am currently using Windows 8.1.

Unfortunaley Tea Urchin my old motherboard died on me and I had to get a New PC within a budget and this one fitted the bill, I treid the card in a different machine to make sure it wasnt damaged as well so i know it works but I just needed a new PC asap really

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Uhh what? Microcode for a specific card? Did you make that up yourself? The ECS site alone mentions plenty of cards of the same vintage, its a PCIe 2.0 slot and the specs for the board even says it supports anything 2.0 compliant or better. The HD 5450 is a PCIe 2.0/2.1 card. That listing of cards on its website, it just cards they have tested with it.

There is no reason the card should not work. Most likely this is a BIOS issue, he has to either update the BIOS to the newest version ,and also make sure the BIOS manually enables the card. Go into the BIOS and the Chipset menu and then System agent configuration and make sure multi monitor is disabled. Then go into windows and make sure your graphics drivers are uninstalled. Install the PCIe card and start the computer and it should get you to windows.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Actually i just checked the BIOS updates and you should have the newest one since you have a 1037U chip, so don't worry about that. Did you check the setting I mentioned? Do you know how to get into the BIOS?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok so your monitor is plugged into the new GC and the computer boots, does it beep at all or anything?

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
no beeps its silent boot, and i have to enter a password before it goes to the desktop as its linked to my microsoft account, I had the monitor plugged into the GC and it was black take out card put monitor bk into its normal slot and it loads up lol

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Did you try to boot with the card installed but monitor plugged into the integrated graphics? I want to see if windows recognizes its even there.

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Ok just tried that as well and nothing still black screen, I have done all updates for windows as well thinking It may of been something there but now I am running out of ideas lol

Is the card still any good was it checked on another machine..

There is no reason the card should not work. Most likely this is a BIOS issue, he has to either update the BIOS to the newest version ,and also make sure the BIOS manually enables the card. Go into the BIOS and the Chipset menu and then System agent configuration and make sure multi monitor is disabled. Then go into windows and make sure your graphics drivers are uninstalled. Install the PCIe card and start the computer and it should get you to windows

What I said made me say SAY what I have had old cards in older machines and as long as its pci-e they work hows your PSU will it run your card????? Its something in either your bios or maybe you don't have the card all the way into the slot it may even be a jumper on your board it happens but saying that card wont work unless it is bad is mind boggling to hear lol ECS makes a shit ton of board Infact I belive they are the ones who MAKES the all Famous ASUS boards and a lot of other companys as well...

Great Value Motherboard

Pros: Small size leaves room to work in small cases, PCI express X16 slot. Board layout. Celeron 1037U is peppy. Handles HD streaming with ease. Benches faster than my Athlon 64 X2 2.8 GHz CPU. If you don't game, onboard video adequate.

Cons: None yet.

Other Thoughts: Put a semi-fast GeForce GTS-450 graphics card in the slot and 8 GB of PC3 1066 RAM and for the older games I still enjoy, this board does just fine. Best value I've found. Setup was easy with Windows 7 64-bit

NEWEGG REVIEW WITH A ADDED DISCREET gpu

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Sorry for the late reply had to pop out, I really dont want to have to buy a new motherboard esp as this PC isnt even 6months old yet, I have tried the above option of checking bios to see if Multi Monitor is disabled and then uninstalling the graphic drivers, Surely it must be something simple that I would kick myself over once found lol

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok lets try this a different way. Go back into the BIOS, turn multi monitor on, and install the graphics drivers that came with the computer, if it works it will detect and allow you to install the second card.

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
You mean turn on Multi Monitor with the intergrated drivers installed that came with the PC, I have also tried that and still black screen, MY GC also has a HDMI port but not one of the monitors has a port for HDMI so i cant try that either

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah turn it on but leave your monitor hooked up to the port on the motherboard, and the install the motherboard graphics drivers and see if windows sees the new card and can add it then.

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Nope still black screen, I can here the PC load up but nothing appears on screen, Could it be the Power supply is not high enough wattage ( and can u check this without opening up the case am currently playing a game at same time)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So wait with the graphics card installed, but your monitor plugged into the motherboard, and you boot the PC, it gives you a blank screen?

TRENDING THREADS