Trying to install my old graphics card

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Hi Guys I was wondering if you can help me, I recently purchased a new PC from littlewoods here is my specs

Operating System
Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit
CPU
Intel Celeron 1037U @ 1.80GHz 49 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
NM70-M (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1360x768@60Hz)
TFT MON 15 (1024x768@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Elitegroup)
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0 (SATA) 40 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS122 E
Audio
VIA HD Audio(Win8.1)

I have a Radeon 5450 graphics card from my Old PC which was on vista and worked perfectly, But everytime I try inserting it into the new pc you can hear the PC load up but the monitor stays black, I have updated my drivers, tried disabling the intergrated graphics but so far nothing.

I play an MMO and whilst I now that the 5450 isnt brilliant it does the trick for now till i can buy a more upto date one

Any help you can give would be appricated

S Prince

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I would suggest buying it from amazon, for the simple reason that if you install it and it doesn't work because there is something wrong with your computer, they have a basically no questions asked return policy.

I did a quick search through some of those cards and unfortunately they are all outdated so hard to find cheap new, you may be stuck looking on eBay

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
It doesnt have to be top of the line card just powerful enough to run my main game I play on this machine which is Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn andd the Min graphics needed is NVIDIA® Geforce® 8800 Series, ATI Radeon™ HD 4770. So I just want one that is alittle better than those

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm having a real hard time finding any of the specific chipsets they tested still out there in the wild. At least none for a reasonable price. is there any chance you can return to the place you got the computer and have them test a card in there to make sure its the card and not the computer thats an issue?

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
unfortunately not as I got it via Littlewoods.com a catalog site, hmm there has to be something out there but Thank you for all your help with this at least i now know it wasnt something i did or didnt do lol