Trying to install my old graphics card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Hi Guys I was wondering if you can help me, I recently purchased a new PC from littlewoods here is my specs

Operating System
Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit
CPU
Intel Celeron 1037U @ 1.80GHz 49 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
NM70-M (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1360x768@60Hz)
TFT MON 15 (1024x768@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Elitegroup)
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0 (SATA) 40 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS122 E
Audio
VIA HD Audio(Win8.1)

I have a Radeon 5450 graphics card from my Old PC which was on vista and worked perfectly, But everytime I try inserting it into the new pc you can hear the PC load up but the monitor stays black, I have updated my drivers, tried disabling the intergrated graphics but so far nothing.

I play an MMO and whilst I now that the 5450 isnt brilliant it does the trick for now till i can buy a more upto date one

Any help you can give would be appricated

S Prince

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

He enabled multi monitor support so it should have allowed him to boot. I looked through his BIOS instructions and there didn't seem to be a way to disable it.

EDIT Here his motherboard manual

http://download.ecs.com.tw/dlfileecs/manual/mb/NM70-M/NM70-M%20V2.0%20MANUAL.PDF

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
could it just be the power supply isnt enough to boot the pc up properly with the GC attached ? I am not sure what the wattage of the power supply is or the wattage needed for the GC mind you but would that stop it from booting

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No it has enough power, its run through the PCI bus, you're fine.

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
hmm then i really dont know then I did look to see if its compatible with windows 8.1 and according to Microsofts Compatability site it is and no actions required but from AMD catayst which i have downloaded and installed but so far nothing

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If when you boot you don't even see the BIOS screen come up then there is a problem.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right so if the 5450 is plugged in whether you are connected to the motherboard, or the 5450 you do not see the BIOS and zoostorm screens correct?

If you go into the BIOS, and go to Chipset and System Agent, is there any way in there to set the IGD to "Disabled", can you check the other menus like Advanced as well?

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
ok so i had a look and there is no way to disable the IGD u can change it from 64m to 32M or 256M i think but i also found this

Windows 7 or other OS : Boot policy for legacy OS
Windows 8 Boot policy for UEFI OS without Compatibility Support Module (CSM)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If you can plug it it and get it to show the BIOS on the other computer then we know the card is not defective. Just to be sure.

IGD Multi-Monitor (Disabled)
This item enables or disables IGD (Internal Graphics devices) multi-monitor. dID you try this and add the card then unplug your monitor from the back of the computer and plug it into the radeon 5450 Graphics card after you install it inside of the computer if the card has a plug in for power you must I repeat MUST plug it in otherwise it will not function after you done all this turn your system on see if you see a bios screen and see if it boots up to windows if not try clearing the cmos and repeat process... how to clear the cmos unplug pc wait a min and clear jumpers as shown on your mother board example 2 and 3 pin for about 30 secs then change it back to normal which would be pin 1 and 2 then plug pc back in go back into the bios and set up the

IGD Multi-Monitor (Disabled)
This item enables or disables IGD (Internal Graphics devices) multi-monitor.

and try that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well no because it could be an issue with the PCIe slot. I scanned the board and I don't see any jumpers to disable the onboard graphics. The fact that the onboard graphics blanks out with anything in the slot tells me there could be an issue there. The BIOS manual I posted for your board unfortunately doesn't show me any IGD disabling, which usually there is. And there is no other mention in the manual.

I read a few reviews about the board it does infact work with a discreet Graphics card so there is some issue that's being over looked or not tried yet but its as simple as disabling the IGD Multi-Monitor (Disabled)
This item enables or disables IGD (Internal Graphics devices) multi-monitor. Inserting the graphics card and booting up then download the drivers from amd.com

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
JohnnyB105 I have enabled/Disabled the IDG multi Monitor and tried booting it up with the ports on the card and no display. I have found the CD that came with my Card and have installed a driver off of it but still no display

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

He tried that and the onboard graphics doesn't display with the card installed even with that disabled. I'm at a loss here, however I did find someone else with the same motherboard and HD 5450 the same problem who posted here a while ago with no resolution to the issue. Its possible the card just straight up doesn't work on the board (but not due to microcode like tea urchin said, that is straight up made up BS). It does happen, though rare for any number of reasons.

Sean Prince

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I am looking over the list of cards on the ECS website for my motherboard and whilst it supports the 5xxx series it doesnt list my Card, so I am now trying to find one of the cards listed as cheap as possible lol