Question Trying to install new Corsair SP120 RGB PRO PC FANS

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I'm trying to replace my existing Asus pc fans with new Corsair SP120 RGB PRO fans. I got them installed and running but my issue is the lighting and particularly having a issue with the lighting node core. My only issue is finding a spot to plug in the USB 9 pin connector from the lighting node core to the motherboard. I can only locate one spot that has this type of connection on my motherboard and it's being used by my liquid coller on my processor. I have a Asus mark II tuff x299 motherboard. Is there something I can use to spice the connection or adapt it to a regular usb connection? Ant suggestions are appreciated.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Yea thats exactly what i need. Thank you for that. One other quick question. Is it normal for a PC to have only one of those on the motherboard? Especially Considering i bought a pretty decent Asus motherboard and i figured if this usb connection is a commonly needed connection then why would i only have one? I currently have my liquid cooler connected from the radiator and corsair emblem over my processor to the only usb connection on my motherboard. is it odd to only have 1?

Thanks for your time and expertise

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Unfortunately I purchased that usb hub splitter and Installed it but it doesnt work. I got 2 of the corsair fans to work as in they turn on and spin and change colors but I have no control over them. Currently the 9pin usb spot on my motherboard that is in use is being used for my corsair h100i v2 liquid cooler. When I try to use the splitter neither the corsair liquid cooler or the corsair fans are located by the corsair iQue software. When I plug the corsair liquid cooler back in direct then it can be located. I cant seem to get the corsair software to locate either item when using the splitter. Is there a certain method to Install and use the splitter? Is it just plug and play or do I need to make changes in the bios? Or could the splitter I purchased on amazon just be defective?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The background to this awkward situation is that any mobo USB2 header actually has TWO USB2 ports on it. Of the nine pins, four are +5 VDC and Ground, two are the + and - signal lines for ONE USB2 port, and two more are the signal lines for the other port. Very unfortunately with many devices that use a direct cable to a mobo USB2 header so the device can communicate with software running on the mobo, that cable occupies all the header's pins BUT uses only ONE of those ports; the other port is ignored and NOT available! Ideally we would need an adapter that converts the mobo single 9-pin male header into two such headers, BUT also changes the connection of the two signal lines from Port #2 to the correct locations on the second output 9-pin "header" so that they are on the SAME pins as Port #1 should be. If we had that, EACH of the two output "header" connectors would provide a USB port #1 for use with a cable that can only connect to the Port #1 lines. Then each such cable could have its own separate and functioning USB2 port. When I look at the USB2 header converters, adapters and Splitters, I cannot tell whether any of them do exactly this job. If it merely connects both of its output male "headers" exactly in parallel to the host mobo header, that does not give the separation needed.

A few of the devices sold by Corsair include a solution for this: the box has its own USB2 "replacement" header ports so that you can plug in another cable to these. Beyond that, my only idea is to use a converter like this

https://www.newegg.com/black-wavertec-6-10-others/p/181-000J-00065

that converts a mobo USB3 header into a male USB2 header that you could plug such a cable into. HOWEVER, I do NOT know whether the iCue software utility, designed for use with mobo USB2 headers, would ever look for such a communication channel on the USB3 bus.

My best suggestion is to contact Corsair Tech Support and ask two questions:
  1. Do they KNOW of a USB2 header "Splitter" that separates the two mobo header ports into two separate USB2 header male output connectors so that each has ONE USB2 port on the lines for Port #1, and no connection for the Port #2.
  2. Instead, can the iCue software find one of their devices on a USB3 header, even though it is intended to work with USB2 headers?
Last option, I suppose, would be to get one of those USB2 Splitter devices that converts one mobo male header into two such headers. Inspect it carefully to see whether it has been wired "oddly" so that each output has the port + and - lines on the SAME pin pair. (I presume that it should be for the Port #1 pair, but it is possible it is the other way.) If not, custom re-wire, following carefully the proper connections for the pins.

TRENDING THREADS