Question trying to install old Server software into a new desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewiley1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
It seem like a good idea at the time. I had a copy of Server 2016 Essentials given to me, so I bought an HP Envy Desktop from Costco and performed a clean install3. According to the description, I bought a 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700F PC with 32GB RAM and GeForce GTX 1660 Super with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. According to HP, I have a TE01-1177c. According to Device Manager, I have a Xeon E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Core Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911, whatever that is. NIC shows in Device Manager as a Realtek GbE Family Controller. I haven't yet figured out the Intel Chipset, probably because the drivers aren't loaded. According to Piriform Speccy, I have Comet Lake 14nm Technology.

I figured as long as the CPU and network card worked with Server 2016, I'd be fine. Man, was I wrong. The Device Manager is loaded with yellow tick marks, mostly for things I don't care about like WiFi, audio, and the accelerometer. We have no plans to run Hyper-V. I've disabled most of that stuff, but, there is apparently something in that list of hardware that Server 2016 wants and can't find. I can provide a list if anybody wants to see it.

I had hoped that Windows 10 drivers would work in Server 2016 because they are brother and sister, but that hasn't turned out to be true. Before I wiped Windows 10, I took a copy of that C-drive. When I go into Device Manager and point it to E\Backup_of_original_c-drive\Windows\system32\DriverStore, I get the same response for every missing driver: "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. The data is invalid". How can I trick Server 2016 into accepting these drivers?

My biggest problem is a discrepancy between the machine name in Windows (WIN-9LURAQIOPFM) and the machine name in AD (WSC-DC1). This is causing major issues with DNS and AD. I can't get either to install correctly without the other.

I need some brilliant suggestions or this box will have to go back to Costco and I will have to spend $$ for a real server.
Or, somebody to convince me that this scheme will never work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS