[SOLVED] Trying to install windows on SSD

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
I decided for fun to add a SSD to a 10 year old machine and do a video card swap to test the CPU which is a i7 920. But for some reason when i run the windows 10 media install tool the windows 10 icon appears but no spinning loading icon below it. What am i missing or doing wrong?

System spects
I7 920
RX 590
SSD ADATA 240Gb
10 GB Ram 1333
EVGA 500W PSU

Solution
That is likely your problem. That has an OEM motherboard with a VERY limited BIOS configuration. I would check to see if there is a newer BIOS available. In the meantime, you might try creating installation media on optical DVD instead, and see if you have the same problems during installation.

The other option would be to FIRST install Windows 7 on it, if you have a valid Windows 7 license for it, and THEN do the Windows 10 upgrade after the Windows 7 installation is done. Some of the Windows 10 drivers simply won't work with systems past a certain age, but DO work when they already have Windows 7 installed. Worth a try anyhow. I just recently did this with an old Sempron system.
Try creating the installation media on a different machine, and then using the installation media on that machine to boot and install from.

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Try creating the installation media on a different machine, and then using the installation media on that machine to boot and install from.

Thanks for your reply. I have tested that method and have also tried a fresh copy of windows on a extra hard drive and that does the same thing as the media creation tool. It boots but the windows 10 icon will appear and thats it. Seems as it freezes and cannot continue to the creation step

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
I will try some of these methods. But its almost like the computer just does not want to boot up on a different drive. I tested a HDD with a clean copy of windows already on it and the PC just showed the windows logo, and the same thing happened with the USB stick trying to load windows onto a SSD. I will update you if these methods work.

To be a bit more accurate. I can create the Media tool successfully without any issues. It will run on other machines i test it and they all boot with the tool ready to write windows. But for some reason it is just this one machine that im trying to test. Refuses to boot off of anything besides its stock HDD which is from 2005 and is very worn and slow. Im not sure if age has to do with anything. The CPU meets the requirements of windows 10 and the GPU was swapped to something more modern like a RX 590 Fatboy, and a EVGA 500W PSU. I switched around RAM DIMMS to make sure that was not the issue. Still the same problem when trying to boot into the windows tool

Last edited:
That is likely your problem. That has an OEM motherboard with a VERY limited BIOS configuration. I would check to see if there is a newer BIOS available. In the meantime, you might try creating installation media on optical DVD instead, and see if you have the same problems during installation.

The other option would be to FIRST install Windows 7 on it, if you have a valid Windows 7 license for it, and THEN do the Windows 10 upgrade after the Windows 7 installation is done. Some of the Windows 10 drivers simply won't work with systems past a certain age, but DO work when they already have Windows 7 installed. Worth a try anyhow. I just recently did this with an old Sempron system.

Solution

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

That makes sense on why it will only boot with its original HDD. I will try the DVD method and perhaps try a windows 7 install when I have extra time to sit down and mess with the computer.