Question Trying to Isolate an S3-related power issue ?

Dec 14, 2022
Hello, new to the community.

Having trouble trying to pin point an issue with my PC when in sleep mode.

Before, when it would take a nap, if I hit a key, or clicked the mouse to wake the machine up, I would hear that click in the case, and the system would seem to instantly lose power. If I just shut the power switch on the psu off, then back on, then hit the power button on the front panel, everything would return to normal. The other day this happened, but the system would not come back on, even if I toggled the power switch. It seemed like the whole system was dead.

I thought this could be a psu limitation, so I removed the gpu, powered it back on and everything worked fine. I returned cpu to default settings in the BIOS, placed the gpu back in, and everything was fine. After a few sleep/wake cycles the problem repeated.

Now I ran it for a while without the gpu, again after at going through a few cycles and it reached a point where it would not power back on. After waiting a while, and unplugging usb devices, it finally comes back on, though I noticed the lights on the motherboard take a little longer to come on.

It is only in sleep mode that this problems occurs. It does not shut off randomly when it is powered on, even when playing games, or any apps that stress the hardware. Otherwise it seems to operate like normal. At this point I don't think it's the gpu, probably the motherboard or psu. Hopefully this isn't a sign of something more serious.

I would appreciate any advice trouble shooting before I summon warranties.

Dec 14, 2022
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

CPU: Intel Core i5 13600k
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix 690-G
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RBG 32Gig kit DDR5 6000 C36
GPU: EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra 10G
Cooler: CORSAIR - Hydro Series H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 240mm Radiator
PSU: CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W 80Plus

The PSU isn't very old. I bought it new back in 2020. Though this PSU was shutting off in another machine that had higher power demands. I swapped that one out with a kilowatt power supply and that seemed to fix it.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like a faulty PSU. And while RMx is good quality, there are lemons even among the best.

So, look into PSU replacement, especially since waking from sleep is quite a bit to do with PSU as well. That, and this too:
Though this PSU was shutting off in another machine that had higher power demands.

I would hear that click in the case

This "click" most likely comes from within the PSU, rather than within the "whole PC".

Oh, might want to overprovision with wattage as well, just in case. E.g 1kW unit. And if you want better quality PSU than your RMx, then: Corsair HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex III or Seasonic PRIME.

Reactions: kernelsanders
Dec 14, 2022
Looks like a faulty PSU. And while RMx is good quality, there are lemons even among the best.

So, look into PSU replacement, especially since waking from sleep is quite a bit to do with PSU as well. That, and this too:

This "click" most likely comes from within the PSU, rather than within the "whole PC".

Oh, might want to overprovision with wattage as well, just in case. E.g 1kW unit. And if you want better quality PSU than your RMx, then: Corsair HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex III or Seasonic PRIME.

Thanks! Just tested it on another power supply, looks like this is the problem. Glad it's not the GPU or Mobo. Ordered my HXi.

Reactions: Aeacus

TRENDING THREADS