[SOLVED] Trying to launch a video game shuts down my access to internet

Jan 11, 2021
This may sound like something that's been asked many times before, but I've tried everything I've seen that's been marked as a solution, and nothing helps. Except for one time, which I'll get to in a sec.

For a month or so, every time I start a bigger video game, I've been getting error codes thrown my way that tells me I can't connect to their game servers. When this first happened, I had just moved places where the new location is known for having internet issues, so I thought I couldn't connect to the games because of that, and that I would wait until I moved the computer back. Just the other day I was able to put it back to the better wireless location, but for some reason, it continues to act this way. I have tried starting CoD Modern Warfare, Valorant, and Dauntless, all of them tell me the same thing, but they all are used by different launchers. Another thing I noticed, if I tried to google anything while the game was running, it would never load. (It would tell me I have no internet connection) As soon as I X'd out of the program, it would load the webpage almost instantly. Something else that's weird is that when I load smaller, not so taxing games, it seems to run perfectly normal. I can get games of Among Us and different chess games running without so much as a hitch. Apart from the bigger games I own, I don't have any problems with internet usage, it only throws a fit when I want to play a larger title.

Some things I've tried doing:
Cleared the CMOS [Nothing]
Reseat my Ubit 12000 Mb/s wifi card [Nothing]
Disabling the network adapter's ability to turn off to save power [Nothing]
Reset the network through Windows 10 [Nothing]
Turning off Microsoft Defender, the only firewall I have [Nothing]

The only thing that did work, I reinstalled the driver I found for my wifi card, and after a computer reset, I got a really laggy and buggy game of CoD running that I normally don't go through, but after another computer reset, the problem returned to normal. Any help is appreciated, if you need more specs or anything, feel free to ask

Solution
I had a similar problem with my wife's computer.
Turned out to be windows update.
For some reason windows keeps installing a different driver than the one for her wireless card.
Every time she had updates I had to go in and reinstall her network drivers for her to have internet access again.
Finally I turned off windows driver updates and have not had the problem since.
Jan 11, 2021
One other thing, I am in a public dorm room for my second location, and everything has always been fine until I moved back. I am unable to mess with any actual network settings, and I am also unable to run an ethernet cable to my computer as there are no ports in my room

For some reason windows keeps installing a different driver than the one for her wireless card.
Every time she had updates I had to go in and reinstall her network drivers for her to have internet access again.

Solution
Jan 11, 2021
Alright, I turned off automatic driver updates and reinstalled the driver for my specific card, it seems to work for now. Thank you!!

TRENDING THREADS