[SOLVED] Trying to link 2 switches

Jul 12, 2019
I have 2 catalyst 2960 24ports switches I'm trying to build a small local network with (for curiosity purposes). All ports are enabled full duplex on a single vlan, both switches have their own ip:
10.5.10.100 255.255.255.0 class c
10.5.10.101 255.255.255.0 class c

If I connect two computers using a single switch they can ping each other, but if I connect one pc to a switch and the other to the other switch and connect those switches with a cable (same ports, tried both rj and gbic fibers) theres no longer communication between the two pc's.

Feels like I'm missing something, any ideas? Will I have to use a router or nah?

Solution
This tends to be the problem with using a commercial switch when you do not have the knowledge of how to configure it.

There are many models of the 2960 actually. Some have "router" type functions and those could actually be the cause of your problems.

By default most cisco equipment will run as stupid layer 2 switch but I have seen a few that do not.

In any case you are going to have to learn at least the basics of the configuration on these devices. You likely can delete the configuration and they will work as stupid switches.
This tends to be the problem with using a commercial switch when you do not have the knowledge of how to configure it.

There are many models of the 2960 actually. Some have "router" type functions and those could actually be the cause of your problems.

By default most cisco equipment will run as stupid layer 2 switch but I have seen a few that do not.

In any case you are going to have to learn at least the basics of the configuration on these devices. You likely can delete the configuration and they will work as stupid switches.

Reactions: menashex
Solution
Jul 12, 2019
Figured it out. Looks like

Figured it out. Looks like one switch was defined as vlan 5 while the other one was 55 but I didn't catch that for some reason. It worked after I switched it out. Thanks!