[SOLVED] Trying to locate an older WWII PC-based Game

stevenj279

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
Quite a few years ago, I played a WW II First Person Shooter game that could be played either online (multiplayer) or standalone. The game started out with the player(s) either as German or American soldiers. If American, the game began on a beach with the player in a beached landing craft. If German, a fortified bunker had to be defended. The types of players one could choose from were medics, sniper, Captain(?) or general soldier. It may have been hosted online via Steam, and I recall Punkbuster may have been required (to restrict cheating). The Germans had to protect a particular room, maybe the command room.

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the game and was hoping someone in this forum might remember it and be able to help me to identify it (I think I had to download the program, rather than it being on CD/DVD media. I was addicted to that game, and especially being a sniper (my user name was "Murphy". I was pretty good at it, so much so that, when playing online, I was usually the initial main focus of the enemy to eliminate... ;-) ).

stevenj279

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
Not sure if this is it or not, but the beach landing reminds me of the original Medal of Honor.

Thanks Exdeus, but I went online and scanned all of the Medal of Honor games and none of them looked at all familiar to what I remembered. Also, each side was limited to 4, maybe 5 soldiers. Another distinguishing aspect of the game was that your player could "swim" to another area of beach that allowed an alternate approach to infiltrate the bunker.

stevenj279

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
Do you remember who made the game? This would make it easier to identify.

I wish I could remember the name, but no joy. I do, however, know that it was extremely popular, and there were many, many hosted sites one could select and connect to if playing online. That's why I remember Punkbuster being important - quite a few "cheaters" existed...

___

Update: I found it! It was "Return to Castle Wolfenstein Multiplayer". Here's a YouTube video of it. Great game, but I don't know if anyone out there is still hosting game servers for it.

But thanks all - I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That is Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and there are still plenty of servers running it.
It is a multi-player game but you can play alone against bots.

The maps you described are Beach Invasion and 1944 Beach.
I still play it occasionally myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999

stevenj279

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
That is Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and there are still plenty of servers running it.
It is a multi-player game but you can play alone against bots.

The map you described is Beach Invasion.
I still play it occasionally myself.

Thanks DMAN999 - I also remember that particular version, it was addictive as well. But the game I was looking for (and found) was as depicted in this YouTube video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDBLx4He-E