[SOLVED] Trying to log my router errors

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I've been having problems with disconnects on my internet. So I wanted to see what routers log file says.
My routers model number is: ZXHN H168N V3.1
But when I go to the log management I am greeted with 2 options.(on the picture)
https://ibb.co/DMRNbT7

The first option (Save Log) displays text in the output textbox, but it is not usable because every time I re-login it clears.
Well you might say why don't I just stay on the site while troubleshooting. The problem is that I logout automatically after a certain period.

I am interested in the second option. (remote log) I read in the manual that if this option is enabled it periodically sends logs
to the "log server". And its input is an IPV4 address. How do I set up this log server and how can I read the logs in it?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
I wonder why they put options on routers like this and then don't clearly document how to use them. I have found pretty much nothing in their manuals and since this is not as commonly used brand you find pretty much nothing on forums.

Many times log functions are very priopritary. There are a couple methods used for logging from commercial routers but there is no way to really know what the data format is. Maybe you could just set it to your PC ip and then run wireshark and see if the packets being sent might give you a clue. The protocol and port numbers might show if they are using a more common logging server. It is common to log via SNMP but you must generally put in more than just a IP addresses since the log servers...
I wonder why they put options on routers like this and then don't clearly document how to use them. I have found pretty much nothing in their manuals and since this is not as commonly used brand you find pretty much nothing on forums.

Many times log functions are very priopritary. There are a couple methods used for logging from commercial routers but there is no way to really know what the data format is. Maybe you could just set it to your PC ip and then run wireshark and see if the packets being sent might give you a clue. The protocol and port numbers might show if they are using a more common logging server. It is common to log via SNMP but you must generally put in more than just a IP addresses since the log servers tend to have some basic restrictions to avoid garbage being sent to them.

Solution

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019

Many times log functions are very priopritary. There are a couple methods used for logging from commercial routers but there is no way to really know what the data format is. Maybe you could just set it to your PC ip and then run wireshark and see if the packets being sent might give you a clue. The protocol and port numbers might show if they are using a more common logging server. It is common to log via SNMP but you must generally put in more than just a IP addresses since the log servers tend to have some basic restrictions to avoid garbage being sent to them.
Is there maybe a software for windows which I can use to find out why am I getting disconnects?

Not really you will only be able to confirm what you already suspect.

First step run tracert 8.8.8.8 It will likely show nothing of interest what you are trying to do is get the IP of the first ISP router.

So now open 2 cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to hop 1 (your router) and hop 2 ( the first ISP router).

What you will likely see is no issues with hop 1 and hop 2 taking packet loss randomly. This is almost always some issue with the ISP wires outside your house. If you can plug the router into the jack where the ISP wires come into the house to test. This avoids the ISP telling you the problem is with your wires.

It is very strange that the router does not keep some log even if it would be over written if you did not check it. The way they have it implemented it pretty worthless.

Still it doesn't matter a real lot. You can't do anything about problems with the wires coming to your house so even if the log would show say it reset the connection because it was getting too many errors only your ISP can resolve that. I have never seen a error message in a router log that indicated something you could fix, maybe if you were running firewall rules and it was blocking traffic might be useful.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Not really you will only be able to confirm what you already suspect.

First step run tracert 8.8.8.8 It will likely show nothing of interest what you are trying to do is get the IP of the first ISP router.

So now open 2 cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to hop 1 (your router) and hop 2 ( the first ISP router).

What you will likely see is no issues with hop 1 and hop 2 taking packet loss randomly. This is almost always some issue with the ISP wires outside your house. If you can plug the router into the jack where the ISP wires come into the house to test. This avoids the ISP telling you the problem is with your wires.

It is very strange that the router does not keep some log even if it would be over written if you did not check it. The way they have it implemented it pretty worthless.

Still it doesn't matter a real lot. You can't do anything about problems with the wires coming to your house so even if the log would show say it reset the connection because it was getting too many errors only your ISP can resolve that. I have never seen a error message in a router log that indicated something you could fix, maybe if you were running firewall rules and it was blocking traffic might be useful.
Ok, I am going to elaborate on the issue. Because no one managed to help me. And you seem to be the guy who actually understands networking.
When I, by myself, try to play csgo on faceit servers, everything is just fine. When I want to play with my brother who is on the same network, just another pc, we get frequent disconnects throughout our playtime(not just from the game, but from the internet). I've tried setting static ips and changing ports, as said in a valve guide. Nothing worked. Any ideas?

Marking it solved when it is not tends to have other people ignore the threads.

So the testing is still pretty much the same.

I would on both machines if you can leave a constant ping run to the router ip. This will show issues with local IP addresses and lan issues.

You can also ping the ISP IP but 8.8.8.8 will work to show if the internet in general is dropping.

If both these are good then it gets harder. Does it matter what the second machines is doing. If for example you watch netflix on the second machine rather than play games. There are all kinds of strange issue trying to play some games from 2 machine behind the same router. This is mostly a console issue and games that do not use central servers. This is all related to stuff like UPnP and port forwarding issues. The solutions if they even exist tend to be different for different games.

If the type of traffic on the second machine doesn't matter, ie it all causes issues, then it could be errors that get worse as you increase the traffic on your connection and you just detect it more. When you have a dsl connection you also have to be sure you are not overloading the bandwidth. This is even more true if you have a very low upload rate.