Question Trying to lower temps on I7 9700k at 5ghz

Jan 6, 2020
I have an I7 9700k running smack on 5ghz with Intel's Turbo Boost technology, an NZXT Kraken x62 installed with a push/pull configuration. I have performed multiple CPU stress tests with Cinebench R20 and recieved temps of up to 83°C. Any advice on how to lower that temperature since it may be bad for longevity? Thanks.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Luke H./,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Whether you intend to overclock or not, overclocking guides explain how to decrease Core voltage which will in turn decrease your Core temperatures. Since "Auto" Vcore applies significantly more voltage than necessary to maintain stability, your Core temperatures will be higher until you manually decrease Vcore.

Rather than rely on Turbo Boost, use manual settings in BIOS to achieve the highest stable all Core clock speed at the lowest possible Vcore while not exceeding 1.4 volts and 80°C.

Start with these guides:

CPU Overclocking Guide and Tutorial for Beginners

Once completed, check Google for an overclocking guide that pertains to your particular CPU / motherboard combination, which will help you to properly test and fine-tune your rig.

Intel Temperature Guide

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Reactions: Luke H./
Jan 6, 2020
Luke H./,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Whether you intend to overclock or not, overclocking guides explain how to decrease Core voltage which will in turn decrease your Core temperatures. Since "Auto" Vcore applies significantly more voltage than necessary to maintain stability, your Core temperatures will be higher until you manually decrease Vcore.

Start with these guides:

CPU Overclocking Guide and Tutorial for Beginners

Intel Temperature Guide

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:
Thank you very much for your help, thank you for the guides I'm certain they will help!

83C is not bad when stress testing, its bad on everyday usage, under 75 is ok, under 70 is excellent.

to begin with you should check your temps while gaming, and other than vcore a few other things also reduce voltage, but to an lesser extender, namely the CPU Input voltage or VCCIN, its generally on auto wich always push more than you need, and the Ring Voltage sometimes called Uncore voltage, this one is also pushed more than you need on auto.

Reactions: Luke H./