[SOLVED] trying to make sense of some numbers

Oct 28, 2022
hello I would appreciate some help

I recently changed my thermal paste and had to unplug my RAM to remove the heatsink, when everything was done I had some issues detecting both sticks + some failed posts so I had to reset my CMOS a bunch of times.

After troubleshooting the system seems stable now, I installed CPUZ to make sure my RAM is working correctly and I noticed my CPU is boosting slightly below 4.4 MHz usually around 4350 MHz (sometimes it goes down to 3964mhz and very quickly jumps up) and the RAM is also fluctuating around 787 MHz (dual channel).
this always happens in idle or under load.
the motherboard is a z97 gaming 5 a bit dusty with time but overall looking good.
RAM is corsair vengeance DDR3 8BG 1600
CPU I7 4790k no overclocking all default BIOS settings only XMP enabled.
I went through 1 hour of CPU and 1 hour of RAM stress test (OCCT) temps were sitting around 80c with no errors.
played games for a few hours temps around 60c to 70c performance seemed normal.
funny thing is that MSI Afterburner hardware monitor actually reports 4400 MHz constantly so I'm completely lost

is it normal?
am I leaving any performance unused or is it just some power-saving feature with no impact?

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution

I recently changed my thermal paste and had to unplug my RAM to remove the heatsink, when everything was done I had some issues detecting both sticks + some failed posts so I had to reset my CMOS a bunch of times.

After troubleshooting the system seems stable now, I installed CPUZ to make sure my RAM is working correctly and I noticed my CPU is boosting slightly below 4.4 MHz usually around 4350 MHz (sometimes it goes down to 3964mhz and very quickly jumps up) and the RAM is also fluctuating around 787 MHz (dual channel).
the motherboard is a z97 gaming 5 a bit dusty with time but overall looking good.
CPU I7 4790k...

jnjnilson6

Distinguished

CPU I7 4790k no overclocking all default BIOS settings only XMP enabled.
I went through 1 hour of CPU and 1 hour of RAM stress test (OCCT) temps were sitting around 80c with no errors.
played games for a few hours temps around 60c to 70c performance seemed normal.
funny thing is that MSI Afterburner hardware monitor actually reports 4400 MHz constantly so I'm completely lost

is it normal?
am I leaving any performance unused or is it just some power-saving feature with no impact?
Everything should be perfectly normal. I remember I had overclocked my i7-3770K to 5 GHz back in the day using Corsair H110 water cooling. There were some options in the BIOS which if you checked, the CPU clock would remain stuck at one chosen frequency all the time without downward or upward fluctuations.

You do not need to do this, however, since the CPU will automatically ramp up whenever necessary. The temps are good and everything seems good. :)

Solution
Oct 28, 2022
Everything should be perfectly normal. I remember I had overclocked my i7-3770K to 5 GHz back in the day using Corsair H110 water cooling. There were some options in the BIOS which if you checked, the CPU clock would remain stuck at one chosen frequency all the time without downward or upward fluctuations.

You do not need to do this, however, since the CPU will automatically ramp up whenever necessary. The temps are good and everything seems good. :)
Alright, that's good to hear thanks :)

Reactions: jnjnilson6