Question Trying to make sure the cpu is causing blue screens

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
Hello,

I’m repairing the computer of someone else.
This person has bought a pre-build computer a year ago from a company.
As you can predict, the person got scammed quite a bit.
Got even told the new RTX 2060 would be an upgraden compared to the old GTX 1080TI the person had..

The thing is, after a week that the computer was fully being used it started causing blue screens and after a while they got more and more frequent.
They got it to a repair guy that found out that the company that sold the computer didn’t only use too little cooling paste, they even mounted the CPU wrong on the motherboard.
Even after that repair there were still blue screens now and then, which are now becoming more frequent again.
As I have no other CPU (Ryzen 5 3600 or b-450 chipset) in my possession, I’m wondering if there’s another way to just be sure it’s the CPU and not the GPU or PSU causing the blue screens, and if the motherboard is broken somehow because of the heat (rog strix b450-f).
Could I check this by doing benchmarks on the gpu and cpu for example?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hello,

I’m repairing the computer of someone else.
This person has bought a pre-build computer a year ago from a company.
As you can predict, the person got scammed quite a bit.
Got even told the new RTX 2060 would be an upgraden compared to the old GTX 1080TI the person had..

The thing is, after a week that the computer was fully being used it started causing blue screens and after a while they got more and more frequent.
They got it to a repair guy that found out that the company that sold the computer didn’t only use too little cooling paste, they even mounted the CPU wrong on the motherboard.
Even after that repair there were still blue screens now and then, which are now becoming more frequent again.
As I have no other CPU (Ryzen 5 3600 or b-450 chipset) in my possession, I’m wondering if there’s another way to just be sure it’s the CPU and not the GPU or PSU causing the blue screens, and if the motherboard is broken somehow because of the heat (rog strix b450-f).
Could I check this by doing benchmarks on the gpu and cpu for example?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
In general I wouldn't be focusing on the CPU right off the bat.
In general...I think CPUs are more robust compared to other components.
I would be checking temps and voltages first to make sure they are acceptable.
Many times this can be the cause of blue screens.

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
In general I wouldn't be focusing on the CPU right off the bat.
In general...I think CPUs are more robust compared to other components.
I would be checking temps and voltages first to make sure they are acceptable.
Many times this can be the cause of blue screens.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve done some stressing on the CPU and GPU and the temps and voltages were alright.
It said something about “kernal-processing-power”
When looking in the dump file I could see that volmgr.sys could be the problem.
I’ve did some checkups on the m.2 ssd and now testing the ram with memtest86.
I haven’t had a bluescreen myself after hours of checking the pc though, but the owner said that when trying to plug in a new rgb gaming mouse in the usb slot it didn’t get powered but gave a windows pop-up about a power surge on that usb slot.
Could it be the PSU or mobo perhaps? Or is it unrelated?